• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Looking for a Small Online Writing / Chapter Critique Group

Tim Reed

Dreamer
Hello all,

I am looking for something along the lines of an online fantasy writers group - smallish if preferable, for more intimacy of discussion - and Google and its cohorts is a bit obtuse/unhelpful when searching. Just wondering if anyone on here has any leads?

What I am looking for is a group that can meet online bi-weekly or monthly, choose a chapter or so from a member's current work, everyone read and then feedback on that chapter, then the next person has a go, etc. That would be the crux, although open to other points of interest.

Just testing the water here.

Thanks!
Tim.

Futhark

Inkling
Hello,

I've been thinking about trying to get a few members from this site to do what your talking about and using one of the forums here as the medium. I haven't actually written anything yet but it's all planned and prepared, I just need a little push. Is this what your after?

Tim Reed

Dreamer
Hello,

Yeah, something along those lines could be good. A push for those about to start writing, or a critique/encouragement/boot up the rear for those procrastinating or looking for feedback on current works. Either/or works for me - would just be nice to be in a little fantasy focus group.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
There are quite a few online writing groups around. Have you explored any of those? I'm not trying to discourage forming one here, but the administrative details of running an online group can be more difficult and time-consuming than you might imagine. Going with an existing one gets you over that hurdle.

Futhark

Inkling
Sounds good. I'll start putting some words down and I'll keep an eye on this thread. When your ready post whatever and I'll reply. Bye for now.

Futhark

Inkling
Oh, hi skips.

Was typing my post before yours popped up. Do you have any suggestions for which groups would suit?

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
That's really difficult to say. There are places like Critique Circle, SFFChronicles, Fantasy-Writers.org, Absolute Write's Water Cooler, and others. Every community is different, each one changes over time, and you as a writer will change over time.

My own experience has been this. At first, I joined pretty much everything. Then I let several places go slack as I concentrated on just three, because that was all I had time for. At around the same time, our local library started up a writing group, so I joined that. As the months went on, four of us who were each writing fantasy started to meet separately.

That provided me with two live groups (I was going to say two live crews, but then I didn't say it). In addition, one of the online communities also split off into a "fantasy faction" and there I was fortunate to find an excellent beta reader.

So now, I go to the live groups, mainly to support my fellow writers, plus I have my beta reader, who is worth twice his weight in gold. In short, each community helped me develop. I really do think those initial groups gave me valuable insight into how to critique, how to be critiqued, how to be responsible and considerate, and how to recognize when it's time to move on. And when one ought to stay.

C

Chessie

Scribophile is okay, if you're into critique circles. Members can join in on already existing groups or create a private one. I tried the free and paid versions and no found no real difference to them, so I recommend the free account. Some folks are real helpful, others are not. Critiques aren't my thing so I left, but for those who believe they receive benefit then yes, Scribophile is an option to explore. (You have to be 18 to join.)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9064

Hello all,

I am looking for something along the lines of an online fantasy writers group - smallish if preferable, for more intimacy of discussion - and Google and its cohorts is a bit obtuse/unhelpful when searching. Just wondering if anyone on here has any leads?

What I am looking for is a group that can meet online bi-weekly or monthly, choose a chapter or so from a member's current work, everyone read and then feedback on that chapter, then the next person has a go, etc. That would be the crux, although open to other points of interest.

Just testing the water here.

Thanks!
Tim.
Sure thing come join mine :)
Apply to join Hearts Of Ink Tribe! - Guilded