• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Looking for info: sales figures

Chilari

Staff
I've read somewhere that while a few authors make loads of money self-publishing and a chunk made reasonable money, the vast majority make less than $100 in their first year of being published. I'm looking for a source on this - and the graph charting percentage of author vs income in first year or income in a particular calendar year or whatever. A google search didn't help. Does anything happen to know where I can find this information, and especially the graph?

RS McCoy

Scribe
Ooo good question! Sadly I don't have the answer, but as I plan on publishing my first book next month I would be very interested in seeing some data as well. I surely hope I earn more than $100 next year!!

Chilari

Staff
Yes, data is good. I'm writing a blog post about requesting reviews, and I wanted to start with a nice impactful paragraph about how important marketing is, but providing data on what a self-pubber has to compete with and thus demonstrating the importance of reviews, but I can't find the data I'm looking for. I'm sure I've read it somewhere.

If I can't find it I'll put something vaguer instead, maybe the total number of books published in a year or something. So if anyone happens to have a link to that data, that'd be cool too.