• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Magic, Science, and Religion

Scribble

Archmage
I scanned through don't see anything that seems <wrong>. Even the psychological elements avoid Freudian interpretations, despite the time in which it was written. It seems fair observation/functional analysis. I'm no scholar on the subject.

A documentary I found fascinating on religion, Around the World in 80 Faiths. An Anglican Priest goes around the world and learns about the faiths of different societies in our world.

Youtube Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HghQff8GJZU&list=PLA64C0E8B64FBCA47

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I gotta say, this looks really outdated. How much has the relevant discourse changed since this was written?

You have to look at it and consider it on its merits. How old is relativity? Malinowski is currently read in university courses on the subject. Plus, its not hard science that is apt to change with new discovery. It's social science theory.

GeekDavid

Auror
You have to look at it and consider it on its merits. How old is relativity? Malinowski is currently read in university courses on the subject. Plus, its not hard science that is apt to change with new discovery. It's social science theory.

Relativity is nothing. How old is gravity? No one believes that stuff anymore... said the pig that just flew by my window. ;)

(Sorry, letting my inner snark out there a bit.)

buyjupiter

Maester
I gotta say, this looks really outdated. How much has the relevant discourse changed since this was written?

Not much. I took a class on the subject a decade ago, and this article/approach to magic was all that we discussed when our professor wasn't talking about her peyote experiences. Worst college class ever.

Could you please point out a few examples of how this looks outdated to you?

What initially struck me was that he approaches cultural evolution as an ordered progress, beginning with a "primitive" state and and potentially "advancing" to other states. My impression was that modern anthropology approached various cultures as different, but didn't really consider any as "advanced" compared to others. (Then again, it looks like he's attacking the old notion that polytheistic societies are all anti-technology--that's certainly a point in his favor.)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Some of the terminology reflects the times, but not really the substance of the ideas.

adampjr

Scribe
What initially struck me was that he approaches cultural evolution as an ordered progress, beginning with a "primitive" state and and potentially "advancing" to other states. My impression was that modern anthropology approached various cultures as different, but didn't really consider any as "advanced" compared to others. (Then again, it looks like he's attacking the old notion that polytheistic societies are all anti-technology--that's certainly a point in his favor.)

Well, it's not a hard science, so whether or not its language is in line wtih what's fashionable doesn't make it any less useful.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Nice link @Mythopoet.

I posted to original essay because I think it could be of use in world-building, though we kind of got derailed onto the fact that of the terminology used is from the 1950s (which is when the piece was written).

The ideas that Malinowski discusses could be useful in world-building and developing and contrasting cultures across your world. They even apply in worlds where magic is real.

Scribble

Archmage

That's a good observation. That idea of "progress" is something that infects more subjects than only anthropology. Older biology texts are full of this kind of thinking, particularly in evolutionary biology, often fueled by these images of primitive man progressing to modern man, beginning to walk upright and getting blond hair and sometimes a nice 3 piece suit in exchange for his animal skins.

Because technology is so important to our lives, and the speed of change so rapid, we are constantly hammered with media telling us that every new product innovation is going to "revolutionize" how we live.

All perspectives have an expiry date.