• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Making a twisted relationship work

^^For those three, I would make an exception. Or I would just tear them to shreds, even more satisfying.

^I wasn't suggesting no romance/no relationship.

If I may ask, why don't you write asexual characters?

Lack of knowledge of the community, combined with a lack of access to them (I would rather not write them at all as opposed to writing them in a stereotypical and insulting way) , as well as loving the love story.
I do write characters where romance and love are a non issue, but generally secondary characters. My MCs almost inevitably end up in relationships.

Last edited:
Lack of knowledge of the community, combined with a lack of access to them (I would rather not write them at all as opposed to writing them in a stereoisomer and insulting way) , as well as loving the love story.
I do write characters where romance and love are a non issue, but generally secondary characters. My MCs almost inevitably end up in relationships.

Asexual doesn't mean no relationship. Or even no romance. Not all people who are asexual identify themselves as aromantic.

But, I do understand. I have a character who I strongly feel is asexual, but since he's the cold/emotionally withdrawn type and I feel like that's a stereotype of asexual people, I'm really, really reluctant to even hint at it in the story...

Where is it stated, anyway, that asexual Sirens don't exist? Certainly not in any of the old myths. By the way, are your Sirens bird-women like they are in the Odyssey, or more mermaid-like?

All of my characters reproduce by energy fusion, so I'm not helping much. :rolleyes:

An asexual Siren would actually be quite interesting. Mind if I potentially borrow your idea?

It would be interesting.

Actually, I believe in mythology, Sirens did not tempt with sex necessarily, but with whatever the person desired most. In the Odyssey they tempted Odysseus with...I can't remember actually, but it wasn't sex. I think he was offered power...

A Siren would probably attempt to seduce me with mozzarella sticks. :p

Well, if asexual sirens don't exist, then...

I'm not trying to be rude. It's just that I've considered this concept already. Although some races in my world can be different, Sirens are essentially libidos on steroids. They can control it, although most don't bother (which is where the legends about mermaids luring humans come from), but they are a highly sexual species.

I'm not trying to be rude. It's just that I've considered this concept already. Although some races in my world can be different, Sirens are essentially libidos on steroids. They can control it, although most don't bother (which is where the legends about mermaids luring humans come from), but they are a highly sexual species.

Don't worry, you didn't come across as rude. :) we're just discussing ideas

Where is it stated, anyway, that asexual Sirens don't exist? Certainly not in any of the old myths. By the way, are your Sirens bird-women like they are in the Odyssey, or more mermaid-like?

Yes. And yes. And also humanoid. A lot of the inspiration for this story started from the concept of "the truth behind the legends."

For instance: the female here is Aphrodite. (Yes. Not a siren in mythology, but when you take all the legends regarding her into account, she does fit my lore.)

I have space mermaids in my first fantasy book; they travel through space, have long, black, seaweed-like hair and pale skin, have huge eyes, and eat starlight.

Gryphos

Auror
Christopher Michael said:
If 2 Sirens engage in "seduction combat" (again, that is not what I'm ultimately calling it, but it's the best I've got right now)

Just gonna say that I, for one, think you should totally call it 'seduction combat'.

Ireth

Myth Weaver

I'm curious, are your Sirens exclusively straight, or are there gay/bi/pan ones too? I also have a WIP with merfolk as the protagonists, and the MC is a lesbian. She does participate in the "luring men to their death" thing (since it's basically their coming-of-age ceremony), but when she drowns a man at the start of the story, it's out of revenge for him trying to kill her cousin, not out of desire toward him.