• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Multiple Stories, Same World

Griffin

Minstrel
It is not uncommon or unique to write multiple stories set in the same world. I built this particular world and I like it and all of its races. I have many main characters and their stories fleshed out. Here's the issue: where do I start? Each story is planned as a unique stand-alone. You don't have to read all of them.

The big storyline expands over thousands of years. The first (chronological) MC is the main bad guy. It is his backstory and why he becomes who he is. However, he is not a big player in some stories. He only becomes a big deal in the last two planned books. So, I am uncertain if I should start off with his or wait.

I feel inclined to write the big baddie's story first because of chronology. Yet, from a reader's perspective, it would be so much more epic to get his backstory closer to the end.

I am currently working on the second to last one. I'm debating if I should write down a quick summary for each book first and then write whichever seems the strongest right now.

Any suggestions to make this process painless?

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I'm doing more or less the same thing: independant stories set in the same world, mostly short stories and novellas. Characters in one story sometimes do make an appearance in another.

One thing I've noted is that when you actually start writing, chronology issues can and do pop up (different stories putting character X 2000 miles apart, or refering to things in an earlier story that character X doesn't do until later). Even with good storyboarding, these issues STILL crop up.

I'd suggest declaring one story / series 'central' and building out from there.

If you're currently in a stage of self-publishing or showing off samples on your website, you could think of two or three that contrast with each other, with different appeals and showing different aspects of the world. Then package those together to gather interest for the others. (If the villain's tale is so central, it might be better to save that for later.)

Wanara009

Troubadour
I actually like to use this approach because the way I see it, the world don't just exist for one particular narrative. When I make the world, I always like to remind myself that everyone that live in it have a story to tell.

EDIT: Sorry, bad connection submit the post before I finished.

Anyhow, one fundamental thing is to keep your world consistent throughout. I did this by record keeping (I had documents for my world's Nations, Wildlife, and History+Prehistory). This way, you could pick anyone in any place in your world's timeline and won't have any trouble.

Treat every storyline as an introduction to your world (i.e.: "Central"). Not everyone's is going to buy/read every book.

Keep characters 'crossing over' between storyline to bare minimum unless you've charted the whole thing well beforehand. If you didn't, perhaps mention/reference characters from another story (if they are notorious in your world) offhandedly or they have a short conservation (i.e.: telling the protagonist what they've learned in their storyline, random encounter, etc).

That's pretty much all I could suggest really.

Last edited:

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I think this is becoming more and more prevalent in fantasy nowadays. Writing books that all exist in the same world, but having them follow a different case of characters or whatnot. Joe Abercrombie does this with his series and Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" books are along the same vein. I personally think it's a good idea to do this, because sometimes readers may be discouraged from starting a series if they don't know it's going to end. I've heard a lot people say "I'll wait to the series over before I buy it." Series still do well, of course, but my inclination is to write books in the same world instead of doing a complete series.

It's a good idea to start with whichever idea you're most excited about. It'll carry you through to the end if you're amped to write it.

SeverinR

Vala
I think its more efficient to use the same world, rather then try to create a new one.

I think you should write the order that you feel most compelled. Maybe create some history or lore(Lore being better because it isn't always accurate, history gets things a little off in the retelling.) So that its a part of the story, but save the actual book for when you feel its pushing you to write it.
Inspiration will power you through the tough times, that you would normally fail if you try to muscle through, and I bet the story would be much better when you are motivated to write it, rather then just wanting too.