• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Must-Buy PS3 Exclusives

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Just got a PS3! I've been a long time Xbox 360 owner, but I had a friend selling his PS3 for super cheap so I couldn't pass on the opportunity.

Now I'm looking to get some games. Can anyone recommend some must-buys for the PS3? I'm looking for exclusives only, as I've already got most of the ones that people might suggest for 360 (Skyrim, GTAV, Witcher 2, Dragon Age, etc.)

The games can be RPGs or any game you like.

Some I'm thinking of getting but on the fence with at the moment:

1. Ni no Kuni
2. The Last of Us
3. Shadow of the Colossus+ICO HD
4. Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster
5. Final Fantasy XIV (not into MMOs much, but this would be cool I think)
6. Uncharted series
7. All of the Shin Megami Tensai games (they have a crapload on PSN)

Thoughts or additions?

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I'd very strongly recommend you look up Valkyria Chronicles. It's got a nice story, a very distinct art style and a combat system that's good fun to use.

For party games I'd say the Little Big Planet games are good. They're funny/silly platformers that can be played by one to four players.

MFreako

Troubadour
The Last of Us.

I'm getting all emotional just thinking about it. Seriously. It's one of the most hard-hitting, honest stories I've ever experienced. Truly an exceptional game.

Get it.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I really, really, REALLY want to try Dragon's Crown. It's a fantasy beat-em-up like Golden Axe, but the artwork is phenomenal.

Last edited by a moderator:

monyo

Scribe
Best exclusives imo, going by some combination of critical acclaim and personal favorites:

Metal Gear Solid 4 - probably the all around best, just an amazing game
Killzone 2 (and 3) - insanely difficult and imo one of the best shooters ever made (Killzone 3 is much less difficult than 2)
Infamous (and 2) - GTA with superpowers, similar to but better than Prototype
Uncharted 2 (and 1 and 3) - world's best Indiana Jones simulator
Last of Us - haven't finished it yet but I'm recommending it just based on Uncharted (same developers)
Heavy Rain - more of an interactive movie than a game, better with PS Move
Beyond: Two Souls - see Heavy Rain
Valkyria Chronicles - I've barely ever played this, but it's a great rpg with an unusual turn-based / third person control scheme
Demon's Souls - also insanely difficult, basically the same game as Dark Souls, but was released earlier
God of War 3 (plus 1, 2, and Ascension) - worth playing just to see the epic set pieces
Journey - haven't played these two yet, but they got a lot of acclaim as innovative downloadable titles
Flower

A lot of PS3 and 360 games are selling used in the $2-10 dollar range now. If you take a look around for good prices you can pretty much have them by the bucketful, with the new console generation being out, pushing the prices down and all.

Nightender

Minstrel
In no particular order:

Valkyria Chronicles. Just fun. Interesting story, flavorful combat system. You feel like you earn your victories after a while. It's also one of those "death is permanent" games.
Demon's Souls. You'll die a lot. You'll also feel incredible when you start taking down bad guys and giant monsters.
Flower. Probably the sweetest game I've ever played. For most of the game, you bring flowers to life. The last level or so changes that to... I'll let you find out. An easy way to get this game is to pick up the disc version of--
Journey. This is the greatest game I have ever played. There is virtually no text, no death, no killing, just a journey, one that is profound once you reach the top of the mountain. I've heard stories of how this game has brought people back from the edge of suicide, that's how good it is. It'll take four hours to play and you'll never have a greater emotional connection to a video game.
Ico / Shadow of the Colossus. An amazing pair of games. One is a traditional puzzle game with some combat elements. The other is a battle against titans that uses combat to solve puzzles. Both present vast locales full of fun fantasy elements.
Shin Megami Tensei games. (Especially Persona 3 & 4, Digital Devil Saga, and Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne). Crazy blend of cyberpunk, dark fantasy, and urban fantasy. Each game presents a dark setting where your character has to battle against various powers of the cosmos.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
You listed a lot of my possible choices, Nightender! :)

I'm a big fan of the Shin Megami Tensei games. I'll probably pick up the first Digital Devil Saga after a while. I tried out the demo to Journey and I had a little difficulty with it surprisingly, but I may get it yet. I never played Ico, but I do want to get the HD versions of both Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

I've heard good things about Valkyria Chronicles, so that may very well be one of my first choices. I would like a cool RPG. I have Lightning Returns sitting on my 360 at the moment, so I need to get around to playing that first honestly.