• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

My Ideas For Magic

evanator66

Minstrel
In the story I am working on, the universe is called Teynor. Teynor consists of three dimensions. The first is the World, the place where all beings reside. The second is the Chaos, a place beyond the comprehension of most of the species, where space and time bend easily. The third is the Aether, where the thoughts of the beings in the World are real. Occasionally, people visit the Aether in dreams. In Teynor, there are two kinds of magic. The two kinds are Alteration and Conjuration. Alteration is about altering space and time, and is more unstable than Conjuration, but potentially more powerful. Conjuration is less powerful than Alteration, but more stable. Conjuration can summon objects and elemental energy from the Aether. Alteration draws its power from the Chaos. In Teynor, magic users are very uncommon. The magic users are either blessed/cursed by a powerful entity, or have a blessed/cursed gemstone embedded in their skull, near the occipital lobe. The magic users use magic by concentrating hard, and visualizing what they want to happen. The process takes a few seconds, so magic users have to be in safe areas to use magic during combat. If a magic user is distracted, the effects can be disastrous.

I would like your opinion on my magic system, and any ideas for how I could further refine it would be welcome.

Hi,

I understand chaos. But bending space and time in your chaos realm leaves me wondering how does that translate to doing magic in the real world Teynor? I mean if I bend time in the chaos realm does that mean I bend time in Teynor?

With Aethor I'd be thinking that this should be the source of an entire type of magic in its own right. You mentioned dreams, but how about adding mental illusions, speaking thoughts and reading minds etc.

Also none of your magic is druidic, nothing of living creatures. So you can summon swords etc but not animal defenders or demons. You have no healing magic. No poisoning magic either.

Cheers, Greg.

evanator66

Minstrel
Thank you for your input. Here are the solutions to the problems you pointed out.

For the chaos space-time bending, the minds of the magic users channel the bending out of the Chaos. The Chaos and the World are completely separate, if they were connected in the way you describe, the world would change very easily. Like if everyone was a time travel capable Jedi.

I am not quite what you mean by speaking thoughts, but a trained wizard could implant a thought into the mind of another using conjuration (which covers mental illusions as well). Conjuration and Alteration are very different and they do have separate power sources.

Reading minds is possible, but not using magic directly. An advanced student of conjuration could create a device to read the minds of some, however, not all minds can be understood.

In Teynor, life is a force understood by only the most ancient minds in existence. Summoning a creature would be impossible, because you cannot use the magic if you do not understand it.

Healing could be accomplished in a variety of ways. A magic user could stretch the flesh around to heal the wound, or fabricate new tissue.

Poisoning could be done by using conjuration to create a poison, and alteration to move the poison directly into the bloodstream. It could also be done by removing both kidneys with alteration or something.

DavidJae

Troubadour
Consider looking at Final Fantasy XIII for some inspiration. They have Chaos as a force that warps reality and 'Gods' that brand humans with sigils that grant them power. It might be of some use to you.

evanator66

Minstrel
Thank you for your feedback. Here are the answers to the questions you asked.

First of all, the stone has to be blessed/cursed. This is because the stone is not a part of the magic, but the magic has to be a part of the magic user. Few magic users wish to take the time and energy to do the complex ritual that causes the magic to be a part of the new magic user's being, so they enchant the stones. The stones do not even have to be stones, they can be just about anything. A magical tattoo would be possible.

As for the powerful entities, they are magic users and extra-dimensional beings.