• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

My plot hinges on this prophecy, but...

Hallen

Scribe
Prophesy is a tool of foreshadowing for the writer. It's an age old trick and can work well. You just have to be very careful with it because it can be extremely constraining and it can ruin your ending.

Jeb looked over at Slim as the hangman shoved the noose around his neck.
"Well, that didn't go as planned," Jeb said.
Three days earlier...

Now we know where our characters will be in three days. It heightens the tension. We don't know if they will hang or not. (probably not, but there is a chance)

But, with prophesy in fantasy, we have to be very careful to not go too far. For example, I know there are some exceptions, but most novels that start this way end with the hero killing the big bad. Surprise? It has the opposite effect than what we want. It decreases conflict and lowers expectations. So if you do go that way, be careful.

For example, the hero finds out after much adventure what the crystal is and how it can kill the emperor. Have him destroy the crystal, but find out that it doesn't do what it's supposed to do -- it has an opposite effect, or it damages him, or it kills the emperor but releases something worse than the emperor. Now what?

Shake up the expectations of your reader and keep them wondering what will happen next. (which is why I tend to shy away from prophesy -- you already told them what is supposed to happen)

I think your questions are a great way to start. Examine motivations. Prophesy provides an external motivation, but how does the character feel about it? Why do they care?

None of this is easy. We can't give you definitive answers. It's up to you to decide.

rktho

Troubadour
Prophesy is a tool of foreshadowing for the writer. It's an age old trick and can work well. You just have to be very careful with it because it can be extremely constraining and it can ruin your ending.

Jeb looked over at Slim as the hangman shoved the noose around his neck.
"Well, that didn't go as planned," Jeb said.
Three days earlier...

Now we know where our characters will be in three days. It heightens the tension. We don't know if they will hang or not. (probably not, but there is a chance)

But, with prophesy in fantasy, we have to be very careful to not go too far. For example, I know there are some exceptions, but most novels that start this way end with the hero killing the big bad. Surprise? It has the opposite effect than what we want. It decreases conflict and lowers expectations. So if you do go that way, be careful.

For example, the hero finds out after much adventure what the crystal is and how it can kill the emperor. Have him destroy the crystal, but find out that it doesn't do what it's supposed to do -- it has an opposite effect, or it damages him, or it kills the emperor but releases something worse than the emperor. Now what?

Shake up the expectations of your reader and keep them wondering what will happen next. (which is why I tend to shy away from prophesy -- you already told them what is supposed to happen)

I think your questions are a great way to start. Examine motivations. Prophesy provides an external motivation, but how does the character feel about it? Why do they care?

None of this is easy. We can't give you definitive answers. It's up to you to decide.

I've decided to do away with the prophecy. I've made a list of questions that must be answered in light of it.

1. If the emperor is not afraid of the prophecy, why does he create the crystal? Answer: because immortality is a power he craves. The Elder Swords will give him that power, but until then, a life crystal is a suitable alternative.

2. Why does the antagonist's master keep his other apprentices secret from him if the mark's prophecy is not in play? I feel this has many valid answers, but it needs to be a good one.

3. What can destroy the crystal?

4. Should the hero destroy the crystal himself, or have the villain do it? As I've read this thread, I think perhaps the hero should carry out the deed himself.

5. What should the extent of the crystal's powers and sentience be?