• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

My Query for an Editor

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
why are you posting this before your book is even done?

Otherwise, I waste two weeks. In the grand scheme of things, that's not a big deal. On the other hand, I just don't see it as a big deal to list a word range. You aparently see it as a major thing. I don't. We disagree. Sorry.

Why aren't you doing research into what each type of editing is for and then looking at your book and going, ya know it might be best (at this time) if I got this kind of service?

For me, it's not about research. Let me try to approach this from a different direction.

Fast forward 10 years. I'm on my 7th book (or something). My style and voice and process are set in stone. I know what the crap I'm doing.

Here's my ideal work flow:

Write rough draft. Polish it a bit to clarify story and character arcs and make sure that tension/conflict is clearly present.
Send for developmental edit.
Major re-write to pick up developmental editor's comments. Polish to fairly high gloss shine.
Send to beta readers.
Pick up those comments and polish some more.
Copy Edit.
Final spit and polish.
Proofreading.
Publish.

Four years into working on my debut novel, I am not at that point. My guess is that a competent editor will discover writing technique issues in my manuscript. My guess is that a competent editor will discover storytelling issues in my manuscript.

Instead of following the traditional path above, I had what I think is a cool idea. Instead of purchasing copyediting or developmental editing, why don't I do this:

Purchase the expertise and time of an editor.
Tell the editor what I want my writing to achieve.
Leave it to the editor to figure out what type of editing will give me the biggest bang for my buck.

I understand that this is not the traditional way of doing things, but it's what I want. Since I'm shelling out a not insignificant amount of cash from my wallet, why can't I ask for what I want?

Truthfully, I think that this is the service that debut self publishing authors need, not editors who try to shoehorn us into the traditional model just because "that's the way it's always been done."

Have you had beta readers that can point out the structural issues you're concerned with (usually for free, if you do an exchange) and thus you can save your cash for y'know the actual copy edits for grammar/language vagueness/spelling?

The editor that I'm looking for has a knowledge base that is vastly superior to the average beta reader. I need someone who understands what I want to accomplish and who can figure out the best way to propel me on my journey to get there. That is not in the skillset of most beta readers. I don't think that that is in the skillset of most freelance editors.

I do think that there are editors out there who can provide this service, and that's what I want to buy.