• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

My writer's epiphany

Jabrosky

Banned
After a long re-examination of my motivations for writing, I have come to question whether I really should pursue the profession at all. I've always had strong creative impulses, but for the vast majority of my life I have expressed those through drawing rather than writing. In fact, I think I only got into writing because I thought it would be easier and more profitable than drawing. After years of struggling with writing, I have learned that is not the case at all. Storytelling and prose-smithing take at least as much work and commitment as drawing–-maybe even more, since I have far more practical experience with drawing.

The truth is, I enjoy visual stimuli much more than literature. I may read non-fiction every now and then for the sake of informing myself, but fiction doesn't pleasure me so much. I look at art far more often than I read fiction. Furthermore, most of my ideas are visual in nature; I may envision settings, characters' appearances, or even brief scenes. I am much less interested in character development, theme, or all the other psychological baggage that comes with storytelling, and plots don't come as naturally to me as visualizations.

While I've scrapped both drawings and stories many times in my creative career, I am far more productive as a visual artist than I am a writer. I finish far more drawings than writings. Granted, I'm not a particularly skilled artist, but then I was never that good a storyteller either, and frankly I enjoy drawing far more than writing anyway. Ergo, I should probably go back to drawing and leave writing to people who genuinely love literature.

Jabrosky

Banned
I've rethought what I said and now take it back. Writing may have its challenges, but so does drawing, and frankly I now remember that I've had fun writing too. I must have only been bitten by a temporary moment of motivation loss.

I feel depressed.

Jess A

Archmage
Took me a while to find my calling. I've decided it's journalism, with a lot thrown in on the side. But it took me ages to figure that out.

I don't know what your circumstances are, but you could try doing some small courses in creative arts, marketing perhaps, or film/photography. Find out what you love. You could look at a career that incorporates creativity.

On saying that, we all have down days. Some days I feel I will never get ahead in life, that I'm not doing the right thing. But underneath, I know I'm doing the right thing, at least at this point in time. We all have doubts. You need to remember your aspirations and dreams - pin them up on the board, talk about them. If you want it enough, you'll get there.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Hey, why don't you try combining the two? I just started a project with a photographer friend. We are going to be doing a sort of graphic novel thing. A short story 10-15k words, accompanied with photographs of our characters dressed in costumes I designed. It combines my love of costuming with writing, and Lynn's love of photography and graphics.

Perhaps you could find a way to write what you love, but with less stress on the writing, sort of a graphic project, where you could do the art and story board, without having to turn it into novel.

Hey, why don't you try combining the two? I just started a project with a photographer friend. We are going to be doing a sort of graphic novel thing. A short story 10-15k words, accompanied with photographs of our characters dressed in costumes I designed. It combines my love of costuming with writing, and Lynn's love of photography and graphics.

That's what I was going to say -_- :ninja:

Anyway, I've always been a big fan of graphic novels; whether that is graphic novels like "Blankets", collections of comic book issues, or graphic novelizations of novels like Salvatore has had done recently amongst others.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Well, it's worth while I think to explore all your interests.

Funny thing though. I used to think I wanted to be a comic book artist. I drew and I drew but I never liked drawing other peoples characters. I always liked creating my own, but then I came to the realization I really didn't like drawing as much as I liked making up my own characters and writing their origin stories. Writing speaks to me more than drawing.

Sinitar

Minstrel
If you're both a decent artist and a storyteller, I believe you have a huge advantage over the rest of us writers. I'm terrible at drawing, but I always wanted to have some concept art attached to my stories. It's true that writing seems difficult once you come into contact with its rigor. We start second guessing ourselves, our motivation, and the future of our shity works. Man, they'll never be as good as my favorite book!

That's wrong. Those people sold their books because of sheer perseverance. If they can do it, then you can do it. Besides, drawing and writing go hand in hand, and you can use one as a motivation for the other. Let me ask you a question: Did you ever get an impulse to write a short story for the swordsman you drew? Or paint that mythical creature you invented, so that other people can understand your story better?

I envy writers who can draw...

I wonder, to what extent are you hung up on the idea of "success"? IMHO it is crucial to clear your head of those intoxicating daydreams of fame and fortune and just enjoy writing for its own sake. If you can't do that, then for god's sake give it away. Even if hugely talented and prolific you have all but zero chance of mainstream success, so be a purist and write simply for your own selfish pleasure. Set no goals except those that result in the honing of your art, and just maybe...one bizarre day...you may learn that others are entertained by your work.

Until you are a professional, never write in contemplation of a swelling bank balance. That way madness lies.

I wonder, to what extent are you hung up on the idea of "success"? IMHO it is crucial to clear your head of those intoxicating daydreams of fame and fortune and just enjoy writing for its own sake. If you can't do that, then for god's sake give it away. Even if hugely talented and prolific you have all but zero chance of mainstream success, so be a purist and write simply for your own selfish pleasure. Set no goals except those that result in the honing of your art, and just maybe...one bizarre day...you may learn that others are entertained by your work.

Until you are a professional, never write in contemplation of a swelling bank balance. That way madness lies.

So although I do not have in mind fame and fortune, I would like to be able to make a living doing this someday and am working towards that goal. I don't think that's such a bad goal to have. I won't be quitting my day jobs anytime soon.

You know the medium that might work for you: Script writing.

It is a visual form of writing. You are limited in what you can do for exposition, but you can dictate things like the description of a scene, the actions the actors take, the dialogue, the clothes worn and set pieces needed.

Even if you script write a webcomic and do something with your art on top of it, you can still do both at the same time and find some true passion.

I'm right with you, my friend. I question it all the time and wonder if it is right, if I am correct in making the choice. The only way you'll know is to step away and see if either one calls you back. If they both do, then try some screen/script writing.

You know the medium that might work for you: Script writing.

It is a visual form of writing. You are limited in what you can do for exposition, but you can dictate things like the description of a scene, the actions the actors take, the dialogue, the clothes worn and set pieces needed.

Even if you script write a webcomic and do something with your art on top of it, you can still do both at the same time and find some true passion.

I'm right with you, my friend. I question it all the time and wonder if it is right, if I am correct in making the choice. The only way you'll know is to step away and see if either one calls you back. If they both do, then try some screen/script writing.

Are you a screenwriter or know of any resources for getting started in that? I suspect it's as difficult as novels.

The screenwriter's bible is a good place to start. Getting into it is hard, but building up to it is easier than novels. You can always write a script for a Youtube video or a local show, and then use it to build up from there.

It's pretty straightforward though.

Screenwriting is cool. Some years ago, when profoundly disappointed after going really close at a mainstream fiction publisher, I just couldn't write for a while. But when I did finally get back on the bike, I decided to have a go at film scripts - mainly because it seemed like it would be a much faster process than novel writing.

So it was (and I was 100% self taught) - what I hadn't anticipated was how much I would learn about storytelling, characterisation, dialogue through having to tell the story just in dialogue (and a few basic directions). I ripped out four screenplays in about two years (and have two of them optioned by a producer who has actually made 8 feature films). When I later returned to my first love - novel writing - I was equipped with far better tools for the trade and my next effort was snapped up by the first fiction publisher who saw it.

Whatever works.