• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Mythic Scribes MMO Guilds

GeekDavid

Auror
The idea was broached on the Guild Wars 2 thread, but I thought it deserved its own thread. :)

It seems we have a small community of gamers here, so it seems fitting that we could easily create a cross-game guild specifically for MS members. I'm in the following games and would be honored to start an MS guild (or whatever the equivalent in the game is) in them, and perhaps others in other games could start an MS guild in those. :)

• Guild Wars 2 (Northern Shiverpeaks server)
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic
  • Star Trek Online
  • Neverwinter

If there's really any interest in this, let's hear it! :D

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I'd join in GW2, because you can be in multiple guilds. I have both SWTOR and Neverwinter, but I don't play them very often (been months since I logged into either one). Still, if we had a group here that was going to play, I'd do it.

Rinzei

Troubadour
Are guilds cross-server in GW2? I believe they are. If so, I may leave my existing guild to jump on the Mythic Scribes one. I've become attached to my server though, so I don't think I'd move.

I have Neverwinter and SWTOR from that list as well.

I'm also on Final Fantasy XIV, if anyone else is on that.

GeekDavid

Auror
Are guilds cross-server in GW2? I believe they are. If so, I may leave my existing guild to jump on the Mythic Scribes one. I've become attached to my server though, so I don't think I'd move.

Well, they are and they aren't... from the Wiki:

Guild membership is not limited to a single world — a guild can have members from any server, whether in the US or EU. However, the guild's influence pool and upgrades (including the Guild Vault) are specific to each world, just like a social club would need to acquire separate furniture for each of its branch offices.

Stevenmlong

Dreamer
This is a cool idea. I'm extremely casual, but I'm playing Neverwinter now, and played GW2 and SWTOR before that (and, um, about every other game, starting in the stone ages with UO.

shangrila

Inkling
Anyone play The Secret World? I bought it and played it for a while but had to delete it when my hard drive was getting clogged up (MMOs are freaking HUGE). But I liked it, just couldn't get into group play because it's one of those "do it yourself" systems instead of an easier matchmaking one like WOW.

ANNNNNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYYWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY....so yeah, anyone else into it?

Anyone play The Secret World? I bought it and played it for a while but had to delete it when my hard drive was getting clogged up (MMOs are freaking HUGE). But I liked it, just couldn't get into group play because it's one of those "do it yourself" systems instead of an easier matchmaking one like WOW.

ANNNNNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYYWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY....so yeah, anyone else into it?

I've been meaning to buy it since it was in planning. How is it? like battleing/ story.

shangrila

Inkling
I've been meaning to buy it since it was in planning. How is it? like battleing/ story.
It's a fairly standard MMO battle-wise, although the skill tree (or lack of) takes some getting used to.

Story wise it's interesting. There's plenty of stuff you've seen before from paranormal/urban fantasy stories but it's fun to play through and there's always the secret societies as well, which add some spice. Finally there's some Cthulu themed bosses and I think it's basically the overarching story.

It's worth the 20 something dollars I paid for it, not sure if that's still the price though. And it's subscription free so I felt like I could take it at my own pace without worrying I was wasting my money if I didn't play a few hours a day (*cough* WOW *cough*).

EDIT: I'll just add that I found the community to be awesome and I got a lot of help understanding the basics from other players. It's not something that always happens in MMOs I've found, so I thought it worth mentioning.

GeekDavid

Auror
It's a fairly standard MMO battle-wise, although the skill tree (or lack of) takes some getting used to.

Story wise it's interesting. There's plenty of stuff you've seen before from paranormal/urban fantasy stories but it's fun to play through and there's always the secret societies as well, which add some spice. Finally there's some Cthulu themed bosses and I think it's basically the overarching story.

It's worth the 20 something dollars I paid for it, not sure if that's still the price though. And it's subscription free so I felt like I could take it at my own pace without worrying I was wasting my money if I didn't play a few hours a day (*cough* WOW *cough*).

EDIT: I'll just add that I found the community to be awesome and I got a lot of help understanding the basics from other players. It's not something that always happens in MMOs I've found, so I thought it worth mentioning.

I checked yesterday and it was $29.99 then. Right now money is tight but I'm considering it when I have a few spare bucks. I'd also like it if they ran a free trial weekend like Guild Wars 2 does from time to time. :)

Speaking of community, GW2 has one of the best communities around. The fact that everyone that does more than a trivial amount of damage to a monster gets full loot and experience for the monster tends to encourage cooperation as opposed to competition. Many is the time I've wandered by someone fighting a nasty beastie and jumped in to help, and no one's ever complained.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Amazon has it for $26.99.

If you guys play The Secret World, count me in. I like it, and like the fact that the setting is so much different from your standard MMO. I don't have friends who play, though, and you get to some places where it is hard to proceed without a group. Not generally a fan of PUGs.

GW2 community is great, as is TSW community.

Rinzei

Troubadour
I've taken a look at TSW a few times - one of the blogs I follow mentions it a lot as well. I may pick it up at some point, but I have too many games that I'm not playing enough as it is (including FFXIV with a sub).

I'm not a fan of PUG or forced grouping. I'm not sure which annoys me more though - having a very difficult dungeon so you HAVE to party out of survival, or a system where you can't do the dungeon unless you ARE in a party. That's why I tend to play as DPS in those cases. Which is a shame, because I do like the tank classes when I solo.

Sioranth

Dreamer
I sometimes play GW2 (long story there that is not suitable for public forums) but I play on Tarnished Coast. Honestly though, I'm thinking of maybe moving if I continue to play GW2. I also play WoW (Wyrmrest Accord) and LotRO (Laurelin and Landroval). I have an account with Rift but I only log in every few months, spend 4 hours decorating a dimension, and then log out again for a couple months. :p

I have a "problem" with Steam sales and I'm really glad the Thanksgiving one was kind of bleh since it means my bank account wasn't screaming. :D