• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Vanguard F2P MMO

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I played Vanguard at launch. It had lots of interesting ideas, and was a nice looking game, but bugs and too-high system requirements doomed it.

Now that it is free-to-play, I thought I'd try it again. Vanguard is in the camp of old-school style MMOs. Game-play is more challenging than a lot of games out there, and there are good incentives not to die.

It is much easier to play on high graphics settings now that a few years have passed since launch. The game still has some of the most beautiful vistas you'll see in an MMO, and it is much more immersive than most. The crafting system is the only one that hasn't bored me to tears. It is challenging. You can actually fail to make something, if you're not careful. The Diplomacy mini-game (a card game) is also fun, as you travel around the world finding NPCs to engage in Diplomacy with. And the world is HUGE.

I always loved the game, but stopped playing when the population crashed. I was back on this morning, and there were quite a few people online. It was a nice experience.

Anyone else play this? If so, post your character names. My two primary ones are Thok and Savs. If you like MMOs and haven't played it, it is worth a look.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
I used to play it when it first came out. I dropped it because of how buggy it was, and because my guild (the remnants that followed) didn't survive.

I have to say, even with all the bugs, it was a fun game. I'm currently staying away from all forms of entertainment that could distract me from writing. Especially MMOs. When I was in college, I would spend 8 to 16 hours a day. It was my fault, I had to keep up with the Jones and all, but I don't want to expose myself to that chance again while juggling the three projects I have going on (and work and kids).

I promised myself that once I finish my first book, I'll allow myself to play an MMO. I'm surprised at my own discipline. I've been an MMO player for over 10 years.

Nihal

Vala
I used to play MMORPGs a lot. I didn't stop exactly for lack of time, I think the changes these games went under during the last years were the greatest factor. They're too easy now, too hotkey spam, giving little space to creative gaming, little freedom to choose your friends and foes, the places you want to visit, etc.

I don't care I may lose a piece of gear if I die to a mob, but I do care when I bump on an artificial invisible barrier, or when I'm unable to hide from enemy players or even jump on one because the game has a big radar and an alarm. I'm this kind of loner player who enjoys to explore the world, so, this kind of "spoonfed" pvp engines impact my gameplay.

If you say it's more old school, I may take a look when at home. I've not played a MMO for a year or so.