• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Nano November 2014 official thread

I won this week. :D

Of course, my actual plan was for a completed ultra-rough draft, and that plan involved one chapter (of 1700 words) per day. I've been writing more like 2500-3000 a day, so while I've hit wordcount, I'm only one chapter ahead of plan. So: onwards!

C

Chessie

Right on, Cupiscent! Congratulations!

I felt burned out yesterday so I took the day off. Had to make up for it today. Have done a little over 2,000 words today and will do another burst this evening, hoping for around 1,000. I'm at 41,000 now so should be finishing up by the beginning of the week. Thank goodness, whew!

Tom

Istar
I just hit the 10,00 mark. I thought I'd get a lot of writing in while I was snowed in for three days straight, but instead I hit the biggest case of writer's block I've ever had. Meh.

I'm most likely not going to win, but I don't really mind. I'll get it finished up anyway.

sankunai

Scribe
I just hit the 10,00 mark. I thought I'd get a lot of writing in while I was snowed in for three days straight, but instead I hit the biggest case of writer's block I've ever had. Meh.

I'm most likely not going to win, but I don't really mind. I'll get it finished up anyway.

It's all good, what's important is getting started on writing, and continuing after. I hit the 50k goal on the 20th, but my novel isn't complete. Still need to add quite a bit to it, so I'm continuing on everyday:).

Reactions: Tom

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I meant to check back in here and post progress, but I got sick and for about 13 days wasn't doing much of anything. Sorry for my absence. I'm so glad to see you guys are cruising along on your projects. I'm at about 35k today and have a lot of ground to make up while we spend all this week up in Wisconsin with my family.

I'm still working on last year's NaNo, and currently at 73,000+ words. Though I'll probably finish sometime after November, hopefully no later than the end of the year. Looking at the pile of 367 written pages, it's beginning to resemble a full manuscript. I feel my motivation going through the roof.

Ruby

Auror
Hi, I've exceeded the 50,000 word count and received my winner's certificate. I used Nanowrimo to write the back story. I need to return to the original beginning and start writing the second draft.

C

Chessie

Congratulations, Ruby! And...I won, I won! YAY! Reached the goal word count but still going. My story is a tad bit longer but that's cool I guess. :)

C

Chessie

Thank you, Ruby! It feels good knowing that I was able to do it when last year I failed so miserably. I think the key for me was a) planning the story ahead of time even though it went no where in the direction that I thought it would and b) dedication to the project. I've learned a lot from this NaNoWriMo about what works best for me as a writer far as productivity goes. Plus I made some new friends in the writing group and I'll continue writing with them every week. :)

Tom

Istar
I dumped two thousand words in one session yesterday, and about a thousand today in between familial interactions. At the rate I'm going, my wordcount tracker tells me, I should be finished by late December. Oh well.

sankunai

Scribe
I dumped two thousand words in one session yesterday, and about a thousand today in between familial interactions. At the rate I'm going, my wordcount tracker tells me, I should be finished by late December. Oh well.

It's all good. A friend of mine finally started writing his novel after years and years of preparing notes for it. He's at about 20 000 words, so he will not be hitting the 50k, but he isn't planning on stopping. He will keep going until he's done, so it gave him the motivation to start. I think it will be the same with you :)

Reactions: Tom

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
I ended up not writing due to homework and real work, or when I was writing it was at maybe 500-1000 words a day. I started this 4 day weekend with 17k; I'm at 22k right now. Turkey slowed me down a bit, though.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Validated my word count. Got busy with the Jobe rewrite/edit (dumped the whole thing into the word count), then got busy at work and with other projects. Came in a little over 23K, of which just four chapters is the tale I'd intended to write. I'd hoped to hit chapter 10.

And with the holidays...hmmm...well, I suppose I can get some editing in now and again, and maybe do the Halloween Challenge as a counterpoint to the Christmas cheer...

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I'm still racing to the finish line. I feel good about what I've done, whether I hit the 50k or not!

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
Hit 50,000 yesterday which conclude the novel I had been working on for about three years now. Glade I could share the experience with you guys. Feels good.

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
After doing nothing this weekend but writing, I managed to go from 19,553 on Wednesday to 50,077 just now. Just in today I have a word count of 15,153, though it required that I not sleep last night and keep working. Call it pride, call it stubbornness...

Overall, I think I'm good with what I did with the story. I know there's a few parts that didn't come out the way I initially envisioned, but that's what revising is for. Ended up finishing the adventure short and having to start up the second one, but then I realized that the road was diverging, with one way going in one direction, and the other in another (that may or may not sound right; I may be babbling at this point), but I know that both paths will meet later at the same point. So I wrote both paths and when I'm thinking more clearly will determine which one to stick with.

Tom

Istar
Ugh. I finally reached 10k today. This'll only take another...two? three? months...

The good news is, I have plenty of new ideas and material for my NaNo, so I'll be able to keep on plugging away at it. I like where the story is going right now. Opening up and writing whatever crap came into my head took the plot in a direction that I never thought of before, and now can't wait to explore. Oh God, I made a rhyme. What is happening up there in my head?