1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

NaNoWriMo 2018 Word Counts

Discussion in 'NaNoWriMo' started by A. E. Lowan, Oct 30, 2018.

1. I got 2,000 words done today. Finally I'm back.

2. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

My rule of thumb is to write at least a little in the current POV tonight, even if it's a mere token, even if it's junk. Tonight was such a night. Between the play (pretty good!) and other obligations, time sort of flew away from me. Still...200 words. Not enough to finish that short story - er - novelette.

3. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

900 words tonight...so far. The novelette isn't done, but the island section almost is.

4. A. E. Lowan

A. E. Lowan Forum Mom Leadership

You guys are doing great! Keep it up!

5. I got loads done a couple days ago, I'm stuck again.

6. A. E. Lowan

I'm stuck, too. Just take it word by word and you'll find your way out. You can do eet!

7. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

a thousand words last night, and another 700 tonight. I would have finished, but I ran into a 'think-about-it' section almost at the very end. Literally basic math and logic.

8. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

Took a couple tries, but I'm calling the novelette finished at 13,700 words - triple the length originally envisioned. Time to judge Top Scribe, and then get moving on the rewrite of 'Empire: Metropolis.'

9. I don't know if I'll reach 50,000 within the deadline. I pretty much have to go back and change things a lot, and write more new scenes, and make one character into a ghost, and seamlessly meld my new official magic system into it, and rebuild the story from the end of Part 3 onward, and fix everything...but I keep procrastinating. *sigh*

10. But wait! I could write a scene that I wouldn't have to rewrite later, to get to the 50,000 mark, and then fix things later. Any idea what a vegetarian coyote and a vegetarian raven dining with a werewolf, a fox spirit, and two ghosts would eat for breakfast?

11. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

the werewolf might regard the raven as food. Do Spirits / ghosts need to eat?

12. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

Word count for the past couple of days is zero. Partially this is the 'I finished the novelette and want a break' deal, partly it's family stuff, but mostly it's 'I just spent four freaking months on the last big rewrite - and that was a shorter tale' (though in worse shape.) I'll have to start it with a careful read-through. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe get a few chapters fixed before NaNo ends...

13. Everyone's vegan/vegetarian in my books.

Ghosts don't need food, in my books, but they can eat if they want to.

14. Alright. I'm getting down to making my NaNo book into something less of a terrible mess. *determined*

15. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

still no progress....

16. Argh. Two days left, and 5,000 words to go.

17. I got 4,000 words done today, but there's actually 2,000 words left. Oh, well. Tomorrow I'll make it.

18. A. E. Lowan

No word count. I stopped counting a while back. But I did finish the chapter I was stuck on, so there's that! One more day to go. You guys are doing great!

19. I made it!

Just to be on the safe side, how many more words should I add, to try to combat the word counter?

[Hopefully someone will reply before I have to submit!]

A. E. Lowan likes this.
  20. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

depends on the word processor you are using - which is why I allow a buffer of 200-300 words with Top Scribe. Can't say anything about the others, but the MS Word count is usually less than that employed by NaNo - by a couple hundred words on longer pieces.