• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Need Feedback on Cover

I've got a cover in mind for my new book, but I'm not sure that it's not too cliche. I present the beginner cover art ideas for your consideration. The more feedback, the better!

Love the stone-skin background

1255496_481019771997746_1583486064_n.jpg

Brighter symbol

1926936_481019728664417_1158347273_n.jpg

What do you think? Is it too Hunger Games? Will it stand out from the myriad book covers online, or will it be just one more? Does it look professional? Title is going to be added, of course.

I like the top one if you bring up the symbol a little more. It's too bright and obvious on the bottom. I will also add that this is the type of cover that cries out for having a stepback with title and author and all, leaving just this to be the front.

I like the top one if you bring up the symbol a little more. It's too bright and obvious on the bottom. I will also add that this is the type of cover that cries out for having a stepback with title and author and all, leaving just this to be the front.

What do you mean by a "stepback"?

What is the symbol? To me this does nothing to make me want to read it, sure the art is "cool," but it tells me nothing I need to know. I have cool art on my wall that does not mean they would make good book covers.

If this alone is all I had to go on I'd pass. It is not informative enough and it does bring to mind the hunger games books which I hated.

What is the symbol? To me this does nothing to make me want to read it, sure the art is "cool," but it tells me nothing I need to know. I have cool art on my wall that does not mean they would make good book covers.

If this alone is all I had to go on I'd pass. It is not informative enough and it does bring to mind the hunger games books which I hated.

The symbol is an important part of the book, and there will be a title and all on the book. I just posted it here to see what people think of the concept.
Thanks for the feedback!

The symbol is an important part of the book, and there will be a title and all on the book. I just posted it here to see what people think of the concept.
Thanks for the feedback!

Ok, now I need to know what is the symbol all about? Then ask yourself if someone had this,

ஒம்
as a book cover done up like yours would YOU read it?

A stepback is like a cover behind a cover on a paperback. Usually you open up the front to reveal a two-page spread of art.

That said, Blue Lotus makes a good point. No title, no author name (and no full bleed picture of the author or subject) covers are very rare. I can only think of one: Mark Frost's amazing "7."

Addison

Auror
I like the top one more. My only suggestions would be to make the symbol more dimensional and, if you can, make the fire fit better with the shape of the symbol and in a direction...which could help it follow the symbol's shape.

Hi,

I'd actually be somewhere in between the two as to which cover I prefer. The first one's not got enough oomph the second's too orange. But I still like it as a concept, and so it would make me look at it. The problem is that without a title at least it doesn't tell me what the book's about. So I might look at it but probably wouldn't go any further.

Cheers, Greg.

Heh, thanks for the feedback all.

There will be a title and author name on the cover. I just wanted some feedback on what you thought of the art as a concept. The cover is coming out AWESOME!

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Try this: Take the orange, remove the black, lay it over the yellow, and then set the transparency to 40%. That might work for you.

e r i

Scribe
I had trouble making out the precise shape of the symbol in the first image. Only by looking at the second image was I able to get a holistic picture of the shape. I like the subtlety of the first one as opposed to the second one (the second one is a tad too 'dude-y' for my tastes, plist reminiscent of DOOM (the game). Hunger Games didn't come to mind, actually.). I actually like the mystery of the symbols. Would like to see the cover design with the title and author name, because to my mind, font/typology can make or break a cover.

Fyle

Inkling
I think the actual symbol is cool, but, ya, honestly, the burning letters have been done many times before.

What about the text? Or is it a work in progress ? ( someone else mentioned this)

And, I like the second way better if I had to choose.