• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Need ideas to my magicsystem!

TopHat

Minstrel
Hi guys!
Im having a problem with my magicsystem. Ive constructed a few basics but its the details i need to figure out.
This is how my system works:

When a person dies or is dying the soul detaches from the body to travel to Heaven to recieve judgement based on its moral choices in life. If the person somehow makes it through, the soul has no choice but to return to its body. If the soul is accepted into Heaven, but has not yet recieved judgement and is forced back to its body, the person will wake up with magical power. Becuse the soul has been through heaven its transformed and is now able to produce magical energy.
Its from the soul that the wizard draws his power to cast his spells. With training the soul can produce more energy and become stronger, whick makes the wizard able to use more difficult magic. The drawback is that he gets more tired and weaker the more magic he uses. With rest he will recover, however. But if he pushes himself to far he risks destroying his soul in the process. He wont be able to use magic and he loses his soul.

This far, i like it. But its the actaul casting that i havent figured out yet. I like the concept of magic/spells have to be prepared i some fashion. But in wizardsfights i want a fast paced combat.

Anyone out there have any ideas on how to improve this system?

//Tophat

TheokinsJ

Troubadour
You could still have fights that are fast paced, with spells that require time and preparation. Perhaps the spells they use in fights are simpler than those they use otherwise to solve problems and other things. Think of Gandalf and Saruman, they both possess immense power, yet when they fight at orthanc, they use their salves to simply levitate each other and to attack each other using magical forces. You could make the spells used in combat simple yet quick and easy to use, whilst other spells far more difficult. Alternatively perhaps in wizard-duels and fights, beforehand the wizard stores his/her magical energy from his soul somehow? So that in the fights he can use his magic at will, but must be careful not to deplete his power or else he will be defenceless. Hope this helps!

Queshire

Istar
hmmm.... maybe something like programing? It takes a long time to actually make / learn a spell, but afterwards it can be put into use pretty much instantly?

EDIT: Also, personally I kinda think calling it heaven would risk alienate potential readers. I think you should consider describing it as a more generic Astral Plane or something.

Last edited:
Instead of spells, maybe they summon the souls into reality, imbuing the soul's skills into themselves, and converting souls into monsters.

Saigonnus

Auror
Maybe it could be “manifest” magic. If you are good (passed through Heaven) then you can use creation magic based on life-force. Anything you can dream up as long as you have enough life-force to cast it. Create water from thin air? Yes... evaporate water? No.

Perhaps its opposite is if the soul passed thorough Hell, and like the other, was given magic to destroy. Thus, the mage can evaporate water, but not create it unless it is a byproduct of the destruction of something else. Imagine squeezing a tree to destroy it, sapping the water from it.

Saigonnus

Auror
In regards to the fast-pased combat. Perhaps it is a runic-based system. You could have wizards bedecked with glowing runes (tattoos) that need only to be triggered to be cast. The cost in "life force" paid when you draw the rune, thus only a little bit more to actually trigger them. Sure, it would probably take days to recover the spells you use, but it could be interesting.