• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Need Some Religion Ideas!

H. Y. Hill

Acolyte
Quick question before I give more opinion: How central is this clan's religion to your entire story? If its part isn't that big, then you shouldn't delve too much into its mechanics and structure (keep things simple and just give glimpses here and there) and focus more towards other more central aspects of your story.

From what I'm getting (my interpretation maybe wrong) is that you've already have the story in mind and if you're trying to come up with a religion post-story creation, then it isn't that prominent.

Mindfire

Istar
Their religion isn't central to the plot, but it never hurts to have a well developed world. Gives you more to work with. And it's not just their religion that's underdeveloped, but I figured that'd be a good start.

Gurkhal

Auror
Their religion isn't central to the plot, but it never hurts to have a well developed world. Gives you more to work with. And it's not just their religion that's underdeveloped, but I figured that'd be a good start.

I totally agree with this. Often you can tell when the author hasn't bothered with figuring out something and then it gets very obvious when he or she suddenly decides to make something about it. Much better than to have some general stuff figured out from the start, rather than invent it from mid-air.

Especially since religion is the classic example of something modern writers forget how much medieval/natural/etc societies depend on it. It may only affect your story in certain places, but it should be able to make an impression when it does.

RedAndy

Dreamer
There might be an element of spiritualism about certain landscapes; for example, mountainous terrain isn't really a rich environment for steppe-dwelling pastoral nomads and their horses, so maybe they would believe that mountains are filled with evil spirits.

Additionally, marauding nomads like Genghis or Attila may have been motivated by the idea that it was their destiny to conquer the world, that they were "chosen ones" by Heaven/the gods, so perhaps your culture will have a "nationalist" streak, reinforced by divine mythology.