• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

New Fantasy World

GreenMan43

Dreamer
I'm attempting to write a book. It is a Fantasy about a girl who finds a broken magical item that transports her across worlds, among othrr abilities. She can't control the world hopping. Over the course of the story, she tries to learn how to fix and control the magic of the item. She eventually gains control of the magic, but never makes it back home. Il reveal more details if you wish, but that's the basic premise.

Incanus

Auror
Could be interesting.

How much writing have you done before this?

Do you feel you did an OK job on that first chapter?

GreenMan43

Dreamer
To Icanus, I have done very little writing before. To EmrichNorr, I feel that my current draft of the first chapter is pretty decent for a first time writer. If Yall wish, I can give you a more detailed description of the story

Incanus

Auror
Speaking only for myself, I think I'd rather see the draft itself, rather than a description of the planned story. (There is a place on this site for posting your work; two places in fact.)

Unless you are extremely gifted, or just plain lucky, you will probably need to hone your prose skills. A good way to go about that is reading and commenting on the work of other amateurs, and posting your own work for feedback. The process can be a bit painful for some.

You could write more to get the feel of it before posting anything, or give it a go anytime.

Congrats on completing the first chapter! But now the hard part begins...

Incanus

Auror
There is the 'Critique Requests' section, and the 'Story Showcase' section. The former is where you want to post if you want feedback/critique. The other is just for sharing.

Maybe spend some time looking around in there to get an idea what goes on. Also, it might be a good idea to read the sticky post at the top of that section.

I'm attempting to write a book. It is a Fantasy about a girl who finds a broken magical item that transports her across worlds, among othrr abilities. She can't control the world hopping. Over the course of the story, she tries to learn how to fix and control the magic of the item. She eventually gains control of the magic, but never makes it back home. Il reveal more details if you wish, but that's the basic premise.
Good set up for a portal fantasy, with huge scope for multiple interesting and different worlds if you choose to go down that road. Themes about what makes a place home / dealing with loneliness / belonging somewhere could work well. Like others said would love to see a draft.

GreenMan43

Dreamer
im planning on having the character visit several worlds as she repairs the amulet(the magic item that has uncontrollable world hopping), if it wasnt clear earlier, she can potentially control other abilities bestowed by the amulet. il go over the powers later

Sounds like a fun enough premisse. Is the main opponent the device? As in, is she only trying to get home, or is there someone else who opposes her (or multiple someones)?

My advise would be to simply keep writing your story. Finish it before you seek feedback. There will be a lot to improve in the first draft of the first chapter. However, you will not know if you even need your first chapter or in what form until you finish your story. Also finishing it will probably teach you more about writing than seeking feedback on draft 1 of chapter 1.

Karlin

Troubadour
Sounds like a fun enough premisse. Is the main opponent the device? As in, is she only trying to get home, or is there someone else who opposes her (or multiple someones)?

My advise would be to simply keep writing your story. Finish it before you seek feedback. There will be a lot to improve in the first draft of the first chapter. However, you will not know if you even need your first chapter or in what form until you finish your story. Also finishing it will probably teach you more about writing than seeking feedback on draft 1 of chapter 1.
I agree. write write write. Then go back and fix, edit and so on.