• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

New girl in town

Hello, from Springfield, MO. 41 yr old female. I've been dabbling in writing for years but finally decided it was time to take myself seriously. Four chapters into an all encompassing world of Vampires, Werewolves, Shifters, Mages, Witches, Warlocks, and my the list is endless. As a general consensus how well do you feel a Vampire as the hero/anti hero play out? I am curious as to the level of reception I will get.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking. Futuristic fantasy about the rise of the mythical to reclaim the world and suppress the humans how seek to destroy it under the influence of a mage who feeds off chaos and destruction.

I was thinking only fire. So yes and no:unsure:. But he won't be alone in this fight. All the underground factions are rising up to save the planet. Knocking everything back to the medieval times with kingdoms that are more what they were post Roman Empire. Including the old names. I've loved medieval history.

Ever since Interview with a Vampire, the world has been fine with vampires being the hero of stories. So go for it.

And you can make people root for anyone in stories they wouldn't normally root for. Just give them relatable motives and make the other guy seem worse. Just look at a movie like Ocean's 11. How many people would root in real life for a bunch of thieves?

Welcome. Now all I have is the Eagles song in my head New Kid in Town but I’m not complaining.

Vampires. Hmm, can’t say I’m a fan of the modern vampire romance thing, but I can appreciate Dracula and Nosferatu, because they really embody the whole malevolent, blood sucking evil parasite that is pretty much everything a vampire is. Although I did begin to develop a vampire story a while ago, and had the question of morality quite an interesting one. Sure, they by nature shouldn’t have empathy, but what if you have one that does? It certainly gives a story something interesting to work with.

Anti-hero and hero are two different things too, so defining what you want your character to be is the first step.

Thank and love that song.

That was the point taking Bram Stoker's Dracula and giving him a little spin. Bram presented a character who just wanted to have the love of his live back. Elizabetha. Nina was that reincarnation of his great love. He was a bastard for how he did it, but in the end she saved him from Van Helsing and the others who sought to destroy him. My character had the love that reminded him of love and compassion. The whole reasons he had kicked his father and cousin out of Wallachia in the first place just after his first wife died of the plague in the early 1600s. He retreats from the world for nearly two thousand years. His sorcerer advisor, his only link to the world building around him. So a little Castlevania just for good measure. In 2520, this dark haired young woman gets stranded to the west of Poenari, the castle he managed to keep from becoming a tourist attraction. The its sunset and he can sense trouble coming. He takes her back to his castle where she can rest for the night.

She becomes his second wife two years later. She chooses to remain human and dies sixty years later. That is where my story really picks up. The day he lays the woman he had come to love to rest after so long with her. She was a good queen for him and reminded him of how to love. The mages are being picked off one by one by one of their own who doesn't want peace. Five of the ten make it to Poenari to convince The Vampire King. The most powerful of all the underground creatures and once great warrior to take up the mantel and his sword once more to save the planet from destruction as the prophecy says.

He does so unwillingly. His advisor pulled a dirty trick and involved the late queen in the efforts. Using her to encourage my grieving king to fight. Not only for the other factions that would be destroyed should nukes go off, but the humans who had come to be children for her during her life.

He is successful and as he returns to his castle, the hero. The mages, now put in charge of ruling the world, tell him that he must marry again. Recognizing that it is the soft heart of a woman, vampire or otherwise that keeps the great warrior happy. That leads into my second book...

Welcome!!!
I look forward to reading your writing! it sounds interesting
your name makes me think of something I wrote and created with a friend

96cc461f48cf1f30b695526b5156a572.png

The lish. A dangerous monster.
Stay away from the lakes
where it lives to take you away into the dark depths
If you go anywhere near one of the lakes where it lives
it will latch onto your mind and haunt your nightmares
you will never be rid of it until you are dead
it will kill you through your dreams
and every night check under your bed
because the lish will be there waiting to set you on fire
If you ever see the lish
run away as fast as you can
for the lish may be faster
after he sees you
he will want to set you on fire
so be careful at night
for that is when the lish stalks
the street

Diana Silver

Minstrel
Yeeees please bring me legendary Vampire kings. Go write it!

I'm never sure how much this genre of stories needs prophecies... If your characters are awesome enough, doesn't it just follow logically that they'll be best placed to save the world, and wouldn't that be the more intrinsically compelling narrative? But that's just my personal view.

've been dabbling in writing for years but finally decided it was time to take myself seriously.
I love this, I'm so glad you did.

Last edited:
I bet that is an experience of many people. How much have you written?
Well I have already written. The first book at least. But it didn't do well. So I decided to change it up. I don't believe in bad ideas. I believe in bad execution of those ideas. The first is written third person, I thought I would do first from his perspective. More intimate that way. Really get to know my Vampire King and how he views the world the way he does.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...least you had the courage to put yourself out there, so congrats for that.

Getting readers is no easy feat. Getting readers and having the ones that really like it is even harder.

You are rewriting it now?

I recently rewrote most of my book 1 to change the POV. I did not really want to, but I can to concede it was better that way.

How could it be a biography if its about vampires? :dead: strange.

Well...least you had the courage to put yourself out there, so congrats for that.

Getting readers is no easy feat. Getting readers and having the ones that really like it is even harder.

You are rewriting it now?

I recently rewrote most of my book 1 to change the POV. I did not really want to, but I can to concede it was better that way.
Yes. I have a small following on a website I'm hoping I can lead over. I don't charge on the website. I'm about as techy as my boomer husband. :ROFLMAO:
I'm hoping with the new perspective and a little more practice under my belt that I can make this one good. I'm probably going to go one better and make it paperback through the same process. I'm also working on a mafia/mercenary romance that I started. The concept is good. 😰 I'm terrible about rushing my timelines and not letting things progress. Wrote a nice scene but I need to change my timeline some. Otherwise it won't work out in the long run.