• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

New Horizons: Pluto has been revealed! =)

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Today is a truly historic day for Space Exploration, because the Interplanetary Probe New Horizons has finally flown very close to the distant Dwarf Planet Pluto after traveling for more than nine years all the way from Earth.

Within a few hours from now, we'll be receiving information and high definition photographs of Pluto for the first time ever. The dwarf planet had always been a mystery, but now it joins all the other planets that have been visited by a Probe in order to gather precise information about them.

So far, we already know some very curious facts about Pluto that we didn't know before:

1- Pluto is a little larger than we thought, with a diameter of 2370 kilometers.
2- Pluto turns out to be a reddish orange world.
3- Curiously, Pluto features a great, white and heart-shaped landmark on its surface.

4- There is Methane Ice in Pluto.
5- It could actually be snowing there!

New Horizons carries the ashes of Clyde Tombaugh, the Discoverer of Pluto.

For now, it remains unknown whether the spaceship has survived because there was a possibility that it could collide with ice or rock particles as it drew closer to the Plutonian system. We'll have to wait a little more to receive the latest transmissions, but most likely everything will be fine.

I am quite happy and excited because of this =)

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Good to know more about Pluto, a.k.a.
images

The Celestial Body Formerly Known As a Planet

(Is it me, or does Pluto's symbol look like a ballerina?)

Aspasia

Sage
This is so exciting! I'm basically glued to the New Horizons twitter feed. The images are amazing! Especially the images which compare the resolution we had of Pluto before and after the flyby!

Reaver

Staff
That's cool and all but I have questions about THIS Pluto:

pluto.gif

1) Why is it that Goofy wears clothes and can talk but Pluto can't?

B) Was Pluto once like Goofy but went insane and now acts the way he does? Was it caused by psychotropic or hallucinogenic drugs?

3) If so, why did Mickey Mouse take advantage of this? Is he a deranged sociopath?

IV) Did Mickey Mouse kidnap and then lobotomize Pluto, turning him into that?

C) If so, what happened to Pluto's family? Did they search for him? Did they get the police involved?

Can anyone answer any of these questions? No Donald Duck questions please... That's for another post.

Russ

Istar
You will be pleased to know that New Horizons did survive arrival and positioning and is in the process of sending us tons and tons of great data. I am super excited about this event!

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
1) Why is it that Goofy wears clothes and can talk but Pluto can't?

B) Was Pluto once like Goofy but went insane and now acts the way he does? Was it caused by psychotropic or hallucinogenic drugs?

3) If so, why did Mickey Mouse take advantage of this? Is he a deranged sociopath?

IV) Did Mickey Mouse kidnap and then lobotomize Pluto, turning him into that?

C) If so, what happened to Pluto's family? Did they search for him? Did they get the police involved?

Can anyone answer any of these questions? No Donald Duck questions please... That's for another post.
Disney may or may not have answered your questions, but they did explore the notion that both Goofy and Pluto are dogs in THIS short animation short entitled "Dog Show."

Last edited by a moderator:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Let me use that off-topic Mickey Short to transition to the ON-topic short, "Space Walkies."
(On topic @ ~1:20)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Indeed Russ, New Horizons has survived the adventure and now we'll receive loads and loads of cool information.

So far, the presence of Water Ice has been confirmed as a large part of Pluto's interior even though most of the surface is composed of Nitrogen ice. The varied colors, geological activity and geographical features make Pluto one of the most beautiful celestial bodies in the solar system, it's not just a ball of ice as many people believed it would be.

I am very surprised by its colors, because I always imagined that Pluto would be blue...

The heart is incredible, what an alien and fascinating world Pluto has turned out to be. It makes me wish that we had Pluto orbiting Earth together with the Moon, so we could spend hours looking at it through our ordinary telescopes and binoculars. I love the Moon, but Pluto looks like a piece of art.

Its diameter of 2370 kilometers is a little larger than expected, but the mass is less than calculated... Maybe they were right when they demoted Pluto to the rank of Dwarf Planet, but it will always be a classical planet for most of us.

Take a look: News about Pluto.

Incanus

Auror
Another cool Pluto fact I always found interesting (though not a recent discovery)--

It's satellite, Charon, is so large that the center of gravity is actually located between the two of them, meaning the two bodies tend circle around each other. Very different than Earth and its satellite: our center of gravity remains within the sphere of the earth itself, though it wobbles of course.

Go Pluto! Very exciting event!

Ruby

Auror
So, Pluto was a planet, then it was only a dwarf planet, and now it's a ...? :confused:

Thank you Legendary Sidekick, I enjoyed watching the Mickey Mouse cartoons.

Did you know that if you go to the Royal Observatory at Greenwich (UK) there's a telescope which is pointing at Pluto, but when you look through it you see Disney's Pluto and not the dwarf planet? :eek:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
So, Pluto was a planet, then it was only a dwarf planet, and now it's a ...? :confused:
Demoted to moon! I knew it would come to this!

I once wrote a story in which two planets floated side by side. I guess Pluto and Charon actually have that relationship.

Also, Ruby, there are 35 more Mickey Shorts, and these are current with more in the making. (#37 was released last week.) One thing I really love is how each episode has its own music, and the spoken language changes with the setting. I love the India episode. Here's the link to the playlist if you want to bookmark it.

Russ

Istar
Indeed Russ, New Horizons has survived the adventure and now we'll receive loads and loads of cool information.

So far, the presence of Water Ice has been confirmed as a large part of Pluto's interior even though most of the surface is composed of Nitrogen ice. The varied colors, geological activity and geographical features make Pluto one of the most beautiful celestial bodies in the solar system, it's not just a ball of ice as many people believed it would be.

I am very surprised by its colors, because I always imagined that Pluto would be blue...

The heart is incredible, what an alien and fascinating world Pluto has turned out to be. It makes me wish that we had Pluto orbiting Earth together with the Moon, so we could spend hours looking at it through our ordinary telescopes and binoculars. I love the Moon, but Pluto looks like a piece of art.

Its diameter of 2370 kilometers is a little larger than expected, but the mass is less than calculated... Maybe they were right when they demoted Pluto to the rank of Dwarf Planet, but it will always be a classical planet for most of us.

Take a look: News about Pluto.

Astronomy is a hobby of mine and I have a telescope that under ideal conditions should be able to get me a view of Pluto. So far no luck but I will get it someday.

I really love the moon as well. Spend many hours studying it through various lenses and never grow bored of it.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hey Russ, so you are a hobbyist Astronomer too?

I am not even a beginner in serious Astronomy, but I do feel loads of curiosity to observe the sky at night and try to see something up there. I have a little Celestron telescope, with 50mm of aperture and a magnification of 30x.

You can see it here:

Fotografi_769_a_3144.jpg

Most people that are really into Astronomy speak only awful things about this model of telescope, but I enjoy it a lot and it has provided me with fantastic views of the Moon. I know that Galileo's telescope was not better than mine, so under ideal conditions I would be able to glimpse Jupiter's moons with it.

What model of telescope do you have?

Also, please check out this fun curiosity about the systems aboard New Horizons: The New Horizons probe uses a PlayStation CPU.

How about that?

Last edited:

Russ

Istar
Hey Russ, so you are a hobbyist Astronomer too?

I am not even a beginner in serious Astronomy, but I do feel loads of curiosity to observe the sky at night and try to see something up there. I have a little Celestron telescope, with 50mm of aperture and a magnification of 30x.

You can see it here:

Fotografi_769_a_3144.jpg

Most people that are really into Astronomy speak only awful things about this model of telescope, but I enjoy it a lot and it has provided me with fantastic views of the Moon. I know that Galileo's telescope was not better than mine, so under ideal conditions I would be able to glimpse Jupiter's moons with it.

What model of telescope do you have?

Also, please check out this fun curiosity about the systems aboard New Horizons: The New Horizons probe uses a PlayStation CPU.

How about that?

Extremely cool.

I have been playing with telescopes for years and let me tell you the one thing I have learned. The best telescope is the one you use. If you are using that and enjoying that don't let anybody say ill of it. My favourite observations are the planets so that kind of scope with some patience is plenty good. And I really do spend hours just studying the moon, there is so much there to see and understand it never gets boring.

Funny you should mention Galileo. I have read a huge amount about him and his trial etc and recently did a very popular presentation about him at our local SF con Ad Astra. You should know that there is some controversy now in the history world as to whether or not Galileo made those observations of Jupiter, or they were made by Jesuit observers who shared their sketches etc with Galileo. Galileo was not above claiming other people's work as his own.

Right now I am using a Celestron Edge HD 9.25. I really enjoy it, and with work so busy and giving as much time as I can to writing, it is nice to have the computerized guidance to make my sessions more productive.

Not surprised to see New Horizons using that kind of controller. All those science guys are the best kind of geeks.

Incanus

Auror
I haven't been able to follow the developments on this. But I was wondering: are there any good pics of Charon yet? Surely the probe is taking such shots, yes? Anyone know?

And what happens to the probe afterward? Is it supposed to go out into the Kuiper belt? That would be cool.

X Equestris

Maester
I haven't been able to follow the developments on this. But I was wondering: are there any good pics of Charon yet? Surely the probe is taking such shots, yes? Anyone know?

And what happens to the probe afterward? Is it supposed to go out into the Kuiper belt? That would be cool.

This page has images for Charon: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/charon-s-chasms-and-craters

I believe after the mission is done it will keep going, much like the Voyager and Pioneer probes.