• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Nice to meet you!

dollyt8

Acolyte
Hi! I go by Dolly T and in my day job, I'm a non-fiction writer creating articles for publications like Forbes. In my secret identity, I am a fantasy writer and creative, artist, musician, songwriter, gamer, and music teacher, among other things. In other words, I have way too many interests and way too little time. I love discovering new magic systems and interesting worlds. My favorite fantasy author at the moment is Brandon Sanderson. I also really like the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan. The two novels I'm currently focused on are Loyalty Fallen, a three-part serialized novel you can find freely available online, and Ashbranded, which will be releasing December 1st assuming I can write it start to finish in the month of November. I'm very excited to be part of this community and I hope I'll be able to connect with a lot of people and read their stories!

Welcome Dolly!

Interests are like friends, there's always room for one more...

Good luck with getting Ashbranded written. The title at least sounds intriguing. Have you got it all planned out already?

Incanus

Auror
Hello, and welcome.

It's hard for me to imagine writing and completing a novel in a month's time. My first (failed) novel took me around two years or so. My current WIP will take about two-and-a-half to three years to have polished and ready.

Good luck with the project!

dollyt8

Acolyte
Welcome Dolly!

Interests are like friends, there's always room for one more...

Good luck with getting Ashbranded written. The title at least sounds intriguing. Have you got it all planned out already?
Thank you! Yep, I've got the full magic system and initial chapter-by-chapter outline written out. I'm currently working on some character profiles for it as well. I'm not super good at keeping strictly to outlines though, so we'll have to see how it goes. This is basically the "back of book" blurb:
In the volcanic city of Ashwind Cairn, magic sustains daily life while also coming at a high cost. For Dare, an ashbinder with a rare connection to the ash that fills their world, that cost could be his very soul. When he’s chosen to succeed the ruthless High Volcaryn, Dare is thrust into a deadly game of politics and power that could burn away everything he holds dear.

Honestly I'm not sure I'll be able to keep it to 50,000 words because so far just the prep has taken over 13,000, but I'd really like to be able to finish the whole thing next month just to see if I can.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Sounds fun already. Why keep it to 50K? Plenty of space to write more.

Give the story what it needs, not an artificial cut off ;)

dollyt8

Acolyte
Hello, and welcome.

It's hard for me to imagine writing and completing a novel in a month's time. My first (failed) novel took me around two years or so. My current WIP will take about two-and-a-half to three years to have polished and ready.

Good luck with the project!
Thank you! I've never tried it before, so we'll have to see how it goes. Loyalty Fallen Book 1 took me well over a year to complete, and it was only around 65,000.

dollyt8

Acolyte
Sounds fun already. Why keep it to 50K? Plenty of space to write more.

Give the story what it needs, not an artificial cut off ;)
Hoenestly, you're right, and the likelihood I'll actually keep it to 50,000 isn't that high đŸ˜… After all, one of my other novels was supposed to be around 60,000 and it's already looking to be about twice that when it's done.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I am slowly crawling towards 260K for the current one, which is about where Amazon will say its too large to print....

I may be printing with someone else.