• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

No More Politics

Does anyone else find it amusing that a fairly straight forward policy decision about discussing politics engendered a political debate complete with semantic disagreements?

Justme

Banned
I don't think it's that difficult a thing to define, but I would imagine it consists of discussions of contemporary issues or events that are morally or politically contentious, or involve elections or politicians or government.

Go with what BD said and you'll be fine (if you can't imagine Rush or Rachel getting worked up over it, it's probably fine).

What seems to be the problem is that so many issues are part and parcel of political debates. Social issues, prosperity issues and the like can easily turn political. If you look at the thread (intolerance of intolerance) was initially a social dialog about the inherent effects partisanship. Intolerance, civil rights are all social ,issues that turned into political one's.

All it takes is one person who gets irritated and the downward spiral begins anew.

You guys can do want you want. I'll adhere to your rulings, no matter what, but I think the issue was not the topic, but some of the people involved.

Last edited:

Kelise

Maester
Don't worry, Justme, the mods have also been discussing the people involved.

However, it's easier to disallow the subject, rather than the people. For now, at least.

It's Reagan's fault!!!!!

KIDDING, just kidding!!!!

Yeah, I love talking politics, but I go to my favorite political forum to talk about politics. I talk about fantasy at this website. Never the twain shall meet.

Does anyone else find it amusing that a fairly straight forward policy decision about discussing politics engendered a political debate complete with semantic disagreements?

LOL.

"I just want to stop arguing!"
"We're not having an argument!"
"Yes we are!"
"No we're not!"
"Define argument then."
"A fight over a disagreement."
"We're not fighting."
"Yes we are!"*

(*This may or may not be an actual dialogue my husband and I had on our honeymoon. Sadly.)

yay Monty Python!! I haven't seen that sketch before, thanks for the lols.

That one definitely tops Confuse-a-Cat LTD or the one where the lady has to call a poet exterminator to get rid of the man under her staircase who keeps reading Wordsworth.

Jess A

Archmage
If you make it dry enough, no one will realize :)

Indeed. ;)

That's all Australian politics is these days - a joke. But I'll say no more for the sake of adhering to the rules of the forum.

That said, religion is another topic which often provokes hideous flame wars.

As someone that prefers to live in fantasy worlds rather than the real world, I find discussions of research into politics and religion invigorating and question why anyone would want to talk about current events or actual political views unless they somehow influence their stories...

...yes, I am aware that I do live in the real world, I just prefer "fake" ones.