• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

One-Off POVs

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
It's very rarely I actually post a question here (not sure why :) ), but this is something I've been racking my brain over. In my current WIP I have three POV characters. They're all interwoven and overlapping through most of the story, so I don't think having three POVs is too much. However, there is something I'd like to do. I've split my WIP into "books" as I've seen other novels have done. I was hoping at the beginning and end of each "book" I could have one-off POVs (not the main 3) that would explore a minor character's thoughts or show what is happening elsewhere in the world as it applies to the story. These would be relatively short chapters that I hope would set up and advance plot elements without using my 3 main POVs.

I had something similar to this before, but I deleted the chapters because they weren't really tying in to the rest of my novel. If I try this again, of course I want these POVs to enhance the current storylines in some way.

Opinions about this? Has anyone else done this with the exception of a prologue POV? (I don't want a prologue in this specific WIP)

TWErvin2

Auror
I think you'll be called on this more by writers than readers (using an obscure/isolated POV shift to advance the plot). I'd say if you can avoid it, it would be better, but if it's necessary and you can weave it in smoothly, then it will definately improve the quality of the work.

With my first novel (Flank Hawk), starting with Chapter 2 and going on about 2/3 of the way through the novel, I have what I call chapter starts, in italics. While the main storyline is first person POV, the brief chapter starts are written in italics to set them apart and written in third person, switching to various POVs. The point of the chapter starts is to tell a story (of events) outside the main story line. About 2/3 of the way through the novel, the storylines merge.

While what I did isn't what you're proposing, Phill the Drill, I think it shows that some variation with POV use is acceptable.

Telcontar

Staff
I use this a bit in TWIXT. There are three or four chapters from the POV of characters which aren't introduced earlier in the story. My intent there was to explore more of the world and give a bit more depth to the narrative by letting us see some more minor characters (especially when they were in a position to reveal more of the main plot from a strategic place).

I think it is in vogue to think of POV characters as rigid constructs lately, but I see no reason why that needs to be true. Use the POV that informs the narrative best. Try to limit their overall number, certainly, because that's a matter that can confuse the reader. Make sure they are distinct and consistent. You do not, however, need to pick a handful of "POV Characters" at the start and stick with them and only them.

The Din

Troubadour
If it looks like a prologue, smells like a prologue; why not call it what it is? If you start chapter one with a POV that you'll never come back to, I'd recommend killing off the fellow. Nothing worse than getting into a character, only to wait out the whole book for him (or her) to return.

shangrila

Inkling
Joe Abercrombie had a lot of minor character POV scenes in the Heroes, but not in the way you're describing. They were placed randomly throughout the story, not as specific prologues or epilogues. It worked fairly well though, both advancing the plot and showing the horror of war (I think one starts with a leader who gets shot by one of his own men, then it flicks to that man who's crapping his pants because he just killed his captain and an army is charging at him).

Basically, yeah, it can work, so long as it has a point.

Last edited:

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
If it looks like a prologue, smells like a prologue; why not call it what it is? If you start chapter one with a POV that you'll never come back to, I'd recommend killing off the fellow. Nothing worse than getting into a character, only to wait out the whole book for him (or her) to return.

I don't view it as a prologue because these POVs would be interspersed throughout the story and not at the beginning. Maybe my understanding of a prologue is not right because I've always viewed it as a way to introduce background information, which in this case I wouldn't be doing. I would be advancing the plot but just from the POV of a different character.

I think it is in vogue to think of POV characters as rigid constructs lately, but I see no reason why that needs to be true. Use the POV that informs the narrative best. Try to limit their overall number, certainly, because that's a matter that can confuse the reader. Make sure they are distinct and consistent. You do not, however, need to pick a handful of "POV Characters" at the start and stick with them and only them.

Yeah, as TWErvin said, I think it may bother writers more than readers. I'm thinking of these POVs as being a way to advance the narrative but from the perspective of additional characters that are relatively important to the overall plot. I don't want to over-saturate my WIP with extra POVs, but I just keep getting this feeling that pieces of the story I'd like to be there are missing because I can't "overdo my POVs." So I'm still weighing my options.

Thanks for the input so far!

squishybug87

Minstrel
George Martin and a few other authors have done it pretty successfully. I do agree with the person above who said to kill the minor character, so as to not create any confusion. I personally don't mind it when I'm reading; it offers a fresh perspective in my opinion.

Mindfire

Istar
I do it. I often find it useful to use the POV of a side character or especially a villain to show the reader events and information that its impossible for the main character(s) to know.

I do this a few times in THE QUEEN OF MAGES. Most chapters are from the POV of one of the four main characters, but the prologue, epilogue, and three "interlude" chapters are one-off POVs. This was done primarily to give me an opportunity to show what's happening with the main antagonist, who is hunting the protagonists.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I think it comes down to weighing what you gain by doing this way versus say finding a way for the plot elements etc., to be revealed through the 3 main POV characters. I really haven't come across this issue in my own writing recently, but in the past I found that when I did this it was a symptom of my poor plotting, and this was just a patch to fix things. Now this isn't to say this is your problem. It probably isn't. I'm just saying think about the reasons you're doing this. If it makes sense then do it. I don't think it's a too uncommon thing to do.