• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Would writing a landscape made from a dead giant be ripping off The Owl House?

The concept of locations/landscapes created from the body of an enormous creature is nothing new; Ymir in Norse mythology and Pan Gu from Chinese mythology are both creation myths where the world is created from the body of a dead giant. However, currently the Disney cartoon The Owl House is most famous for utilizing this concept; the Boiling Isles which most of the show takes place on is made from the remains of a dead gigantic humanoid called "the Titan", whose magical power was so immense that all life that evolved from the Titan's remains grew to wield magic as well.

I want to know if writing a story where a geographical feature is actually a dead (or dormant) giant being would be seen as ripping off The Owl House. I've considered having a mountain in one of my fantasy worlds which is really the body of a dead magical creature.

Queshire

Istar
Huh, never heard of The Owl House, heh heh. So, I'd say no.

If you don't mind cartoons then I would highly recommend it. (As should be obvious to anyone who recognizes my avatar.) It does some really interesting things from a story telling perspective.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Sadly, I'm pretty much burnt out on animation these days. I'm good for one animated movie and one supers movie per year, and a series? Nope, just can't do it, LOL. I was a Moon Knight fan as a kid, even bought the #1 issue, and I didn't make it past episode one... despite not disliking it. The reality is, that after studying screenwriting and watching a bazillion movies studying plot, structure, beats, etc., during that process I find very little all that entertaining anymore, LMAO. I'm sure I miss a lot of good stuff because of that, but, it frees up more time to write, heh heh.
If you don't mind cartoons then I would highly recommend it. (As should be obvious to anyone who recognizes my avatar.) It does some really interesting things from a story telling perspective.

I’ve never heard of it either. Could you change an aspect of the giant? Say make the giant female? Or magic in some way?

Redfrogcrab

Troubadour
I want to know if writing a story where a geographical feature is actually a dead (or dormant) giant being would be seen as ripping off The Owl House. I've considered having a mountain in one of my fantasy worlds which is really the body of a dead magical creature.
A fun example of this concept is a world-building project online known as Mystery Flesh Pit National park, which is a fictional defunct national park within the gullet of a massive animal buried just below the ground somewhere in Texas, it was full of weird life forms that evolved within the superorganism, along with lovely sites to behold such as the "amniotic thermal springs" and "gastric sea". There even was whole mining operations and commercial/tourism spots down in the Mystery Flesh Pit, a place that could digest you if you were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Go check it out, its cool

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Honestly, it puts me in mind of Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game. Nothing wrong about that, just means it's a familiar trope.

ClearDragon

Troubadour
I've never heard of the owl house before, but its an interesting concept that I have heard of before.
I say go with it and make it good.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I've never heard of the owl house before, but its an interesting concept that I have heard of before.
I say go with it and make it good.
Just because we haven't touched on this, the House of the Owl (and many, many others like it) appears in Meso-American folklore and religion, and is usually referred to as the gateway to the land of the dead.

ClearDragon

Troubadour
Just because we haven't touched on this, the House of the Owl (and many, many others like it) appears in Meso-American folklore and religion, and is usually referred to as the gateway to the land of the dead.
I just looked this up and it seems concepts like that are in many cultures!
Sometimes I wonder if ancient people really did see "impossible" things that don't happen today...