• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Online course: Archaeology of Portus

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
There is a FutureLearn course that might be on interest to some...
[h=1]Archaeology of Portus: exploring the lost harbour of ancient Rome
[/h] Learn how ancient artefacts, written evidence, excavation and digital technologies are transforming understanding of this harbour.

About the course

The Roman harbour city of Portus lay at the heart of an empire that extended from Scotland to Iraq. Established by Claudius and enlarged by the emperor Trajan with spoils of the Dacian wars, the port was the conduit for everything the city of Rome required from its Mediterranean provinces: the food and, particularly grain, that fed the largest urban population of the ancient world, as well as luxuries of all kinds, building materials, people and wild animals for the arena.

On this course you will chart a journey from the Imperial harbour to its connections across the Mediterranean, learning about what the archaeological discoveries uncovered by the Portus Project tell us about the history, landscape, buildings, and the people of this unique place. Although the site lies in ruins, it has some of the best-preserved Roman port buildings in the Mediterranean, and in this course you will learn to interpret these and the finds discovered within them, using primary research data and the virtual tools of the archaeologist.

Largely filmed on location at Portus, the course will provide you with an insight into the wide range of digital technologies employed to record, analyse and present the site. In addition to the lead educators, our enthusiastic team of student archaeologists will support your learning.

You can use the hashtag #UoSFLPortus to join and contribute to Twitter conversations about this course.
University of Southampton

Starts on 19 May
Duration: 6 weeks
2 hours pw

Educators
Professor Simon Keay, Dr. Graeme Earl and Dr. Dragana Mladenović

Requirements
We would like students who are fascinated by archaeology and history. The course will also appeal to students with an interest in technologies such as digital photography. No previous knowledge is required or assumed.

Chilari

Staff
Sounds fascinating. I saw a TV programme possibly hosted by Dan Snow a few weeks ago about this and other Roman sites recently discovered thanks to modern technology, which Simon Keay was part of and I think I remember his name from articles I studied while I was a student. So I'll definitely be checking this one out.

Now, when will Jago Cooper do the same sort of thing for the South American cultures his recent BBC series has been looking at? Because that was awesome.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I saw that too. LIDAR - good for what you cannot see... :)
Jago Cooper's was good, Gus Casely-Hayford equally good on African civilisations...
and then there are the wonderful Mary Beard and Lucy Worsley.
The BBC do seem to be on a roll with their history/culture series right now.
Something about the Renaissance starts tonight and a Plantagenate series starting next week...

The FutureLearn courses are [from what I've seen] better than the Coursera ones.
Actually the Coursera course was fairly dire [I did one on Roman Architecture - that was little basic...]

Chilari

Staff
I must admit to having a bit of a bias for Jago Cooper, because he was teaching at Leicester when I was a student there. He ran the excavation module in first year - he (and others) basically taught me to excavate. And he's a lovely guy, friendly and enthusiastic about his subject. Everyone in my class liked him. The department sent out an email when he was on a Tony Robinson presented programme about climate change in prehistory (another area he's studied), and they posted on Facebook for this one.