• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Orc females

This is a quote from the book, and I whole heartedly agree with it. All of my female protagonists embody this as it’s important to me to honour the female experience in my own writing, and I bid you to delve deep in order to convey authenticity and believability in your female orc characters.
c8d1ded89c2b63f140a1f80326ca29fa.jpg

Foxkeyes

Minstrel
One thing to consider is using the word Orc.

This brought an immediate association to a certain type of creature that certainly isn't human.

Fettju

Minstrel
This is a quote from the book, and I whole heartedly agree with it. All of my female protagonists embody this as it’s important to me to honour the female experience in my own writing, and I bid you to delve deep in order to convey authenticity and believability in your female orc characters.
c8d1ded89c2b63f140a1f80326ca29fa.jpg
Funny, I had something something exactly similar to that snippet of text in mind. I have a girlfriend who loves wolves for example, and identifies with them very much

Fettju

Minstrel
You might think that an orc had an emotion that portrays braveness in the face of danger, but when you strip it back, maybe they are just a glob of goo. Now what would take you to places that perhaps a lowly orc lass could not go, or take them to the utmost heights, with an individual, it is hard to know. But when you think of evil, you may not be thinking of outright bad, or balancing niceties with good. I applaud your trying to find the human in the orc, but what about the orc in the human?
If you read what I have said what looking for, the orcs are not evil or globs of bloo or "human in the orc" they are basically human. Like woodwoses, but not hary and with green skin. (Or maybe, who knows, hairy humans with normal skin tone, called "orks" would be interesting. And the females with no body hair)

Fettju

Minstrel
Feminine is not limited giving birth, cleaning weapons and cleaning the campsite. It is not limited soft, sensitive, sensual and afraid
Really? I thought that was exactly what I was saying, just those things, and not at all "how would a wild woman be?"

Fettju

Minstrel
One thing to consider is using the word Orc.

This brought an immediate association to a certain type of creature that certainly isn't human.
"Various languages and traditions include names suggesting affinities with Orcus, a Roman and Italic god of death.[2] For many years people in Tyrol called the wild man Orke, Lorke, or Noerglein, while in parts of Italy he was the orco or huorco.[10] The French ogre has the same derivation,[10] as do modern literary orcs.[11] Importantly, Orcus is associated with Maia in a dance celebrated late enough to be condemned in a 9th- or 10th-century Spanish penitential.[12]"

I found this before. A god of death = human being, the ancient civilizations didn't have lovercraftian gods.
Using the word orc for them doesn't require the reader to start imagining what type of creature it is. As in Malazan book of the fallen, where there are lots of races and you have no idea if the writer is talking about a nationality/subrace of human or a different humanoid species all together. "Barghast, am, ok, so a man from Barhistan then?" or "The napan's blue skin, oh ok, so I guess....like a goblin maybe?" it requires lots of descriptions. And the reader will not get it until the second book. Even using a dictionary doesn't do much until their appearences are described in the story.
"Ork" on the other hand, people will know straight away. And if they are not evil and maybe don't look like what you first see in your mind when you think of that word, it adds something interesting to it. But you will not be all confused and not able to fully concentrate on the story, like "the trell hunter picked up his bonemace and walked off without saying a word" wtf is a "trell"??!! Some kind of lizard? Dictionary says....wait....okay, a nomadic people from the south western steppes of the Seven Cities continent" and then two pages later "the trell waa sharpening his fangs" what?! So not a human then?

Last edited:

BJ Swabb

Sage
I see orcs two ways. Orcs like Tolkien have or orcs of WOW. Each completely different. In Tolkien's redition they are animalist meat cravers that hoard and make chaos, and there was no sign of female orc there. But in WOW they were huge creatures with tusks and they had a social way of things. Just like humans caring for their people and families. I haven't actually looked deeply into this race cause I haven't really played with them real well as of yet. Though It is my attention to. My suggestion is to look into the different kinds of orcs there are and then take what you want and make them your own. Look into D&D, WOW, and LOTR and maybe see which ones fit your race better. Then go in and work your magic by making them a little different.

Foxkeyes

Minstrel
"Various languages and traditions include names suggesting affinities with Orcus, a Roman and Italic god of death.[2] For many years people in Tyrol called the wild man Orke, Lorke, or Noerglein, while in parts of Italy he was the orco or huorco.[10] The French ogre has the same derivation,[10] as do modern literary orcs.[11] Importantly, Orcus is associated with Maia in a dance celebrated late enough to be condemned in a 9th- or 10th-century Spanish penitential.[12]"

I found this before. A god of death = human being, the ancient civilizations didn't have lovercraftian gods.
Using the word orc for them doesn't require the reader to start imagining what type of creature it is. As in Malazan book of the fallen, where there are lots of races and you have no idea if the writer is talking about a nationality/subrace of human or a different humanoid species all together. "Barghast, am, ok, so a man from Barhistan then?" or "The napan's blue skin, oh ok, so I guess....like a goblin maybe?" it requires lots of descriptions. And the reader will not get it until the second book. Even using a dictionary doesn't do much until their appearences are described in the story.
"Ork" on the other hand, people will know straight away. And if they are not evil and maybe don't look like what you first see in your mind when you think of that word, it adds something interesting to it. But you will not be all confused and not able to fully concentrate on the story, like "the trell hunter picked up his bonemace and walked off without saying a word" wtf is a "trell"??!! Some kind of lizard? Dictionary says....wait....okay, a nomadic people from the south western steppes of the Seven Cities continent" and then two pages later "the trell waa sharpening his fangs" what?! So not a human then?
Interesting.

JBCrowson

Troubadour

FWIW I read Napan, Seti, Bhargast, Trell and Imrass as races of humans, but Jhek, Jhag, as different species. I kind of like having the space to imagine them 'my way' - as BK might say.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
In Tolkien's redition they are animalist meat cravers that hoard and make chaos, and there was no sign of female orc there.

Tolkien had written that he believed there would be female orcs, they just weren't the type of thing that made the stories of men.

Last edited:

Queshire

Istar
Calling Tolkien's Orcs animalistic seems to oversimplify them in my opinion since both times we see them they're organized into armies.

Fettju

Minstrel
Napan, Seti, Bhargast, Trell and Imrass as races of humans, but Jhek, Jhag, as different species
Oh really? I had to look in the dictionary when I was reading. According to that Napan and Seti are humans, but Bhargast and Imass are a separate species, or might be human precursor race (neanderthals) Trell I think are a mix of Teblor and Bhargast, while Jhag are immortal orc wizards (green and tusks and all) and Tiste are elves. I had to catalogue them like that (the elves and orcs) I don't really know why, though. I guess because Tolkien was the first fantasy I read so it's my filter somehow.