• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Page Formatting

I apologize this isn't 'art & craft' of fantasy writing, but I was wondering what page format you guys use in your word processors? I was fidgeting with a few word processors, WPS, Office, Openoffice...and found the page formatting section and I was using one called A4 as opposed to Letter. I thought it was like the size of a paperback but I'm not sure. I want to write in a format that is close to a traditional fantasy paperback as a time reference.

troynos

Minstrel
I downloaded a Word template off Createspace for 6x9 books and use that for final formatting. I use Google Drive for all the actual writing so I can access it anywhere (from work during lunch, out on my deck, in the office, well traveling, etc..). I then copy it into the template.

One of these days I'll create the template in Google Drive.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
What troynos said.

But there's another way to think about this. There's the format in which you write, which I recommend you keep as dead simple as possible. Then there's the format in which you publish.

That format will vary by medium and by publisher. You need to know where you intend to publish, then educate yourself about each publisher's requirements. Finally, find yourself some software that can go from your writing format into their publishing format with the least amount of grief. You will note I nowhere use the word "easily" (an adverb which, along with "simply", should be forbidden to all writers of computer documentation).

I use Scrivener, which serves both roles--a writing tool and a formatting tool. A popular alternative is word-processor-of-choice plus Calibri. There are also publishing platforms like BookBaby that will (for money) accept your manuscript and will handle the formatting to various publishers for you.

My main point here is, choose your writing tool first. Don't let worry over publishing requirements affect that choice in the least.

OK, I had no idea about A4. Doesn't look that way at all and I know too little of publishing to have thought of the rest, ah naivety. Thanks guys, gonna check out Scrivener and Calibri.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk