• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Phil's Insane All Day Writing Marathon

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
While I don't expect anyone to join me (feel free if you want to!) I'm going to be doing a writing marathon starting from when I wake up until the end of the day, stopping only to use the restroom, eat, drink, and do brief stretching and aerobics to keep the blood flowing.

My plan is to write in 20 minute increments with 5 minute breaks. After four cycles, I'll take a longer 20 minute break and start the cycle over.

I'll be stopping in here throughout the day (or night for many of you) to update my progress as well as on my blog. If you care to cheer me on or throw things at me, feel free to do so.

This will probably be a true test of how much I can truly write in one day with very few interruptions.

I want to end 2013 with a bang, so this is my shot. :eek:

danr62

Sage
Good luck, you crazy dude!

I would need to get a cabin in the woods to get away from my wife and kids for a day if I wanted to do something like that.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Thanks! Well, my wife is going to work all day, I don't have any lessons, and all my friends are gone off for the New Year, so this is as free as I'm going to get for a whole day.

I'll probably be taking a before and after picture to see how horrible I look. :)

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Well, that settles it. I've got housecleaning to neglect. Let's see how many words I can spew out before midnight - or until I grow bored. I've got booze and beers. Let's do this!

Edit: Current document when starting out is at 2640 words. It's seven hours and four minutes to midnight. Gonna try and reach 5k words total at least.

Last edited:

Chilari

Staff
Phil, I'm gonna join you! I've even posted on my blog about it so I can't go backing out. I'm not going to keep going to the end of the day, though, I'm ust gonna try three blocks of four 20-minute writing sessions - two in the morning and one after lunch. I might consider a fourth block if everything is going well, but I do have a scarf to finish crocheting for my Dad's Christmas present so I might dedicate the evening to that instead.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
It appears I failed. I still have about two and a half hours to go, but I'm too drunk to spell properly now. :/

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
In my cabin in the woods, this is what I do every day! ;) But it's nice to have a full party. Let's have fun!

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
ahahaha nice work sv!

Hmm... about writing all day... I kinda do that a lot. More than I probably should in fact. I often haul my computer around with me all day and type while I'm making my kids lunch, sit on the couch and type while they watch cartoons, and even take my computer in the bath after dinner and type at 108 degrees for an hour or two. That being said... I'm editing, which doesn't result in a word count... but I'll cheer you on, Phil. I'm your supporter all the way!!!

I can't wait to see what your final WC is and I hope you feel motivated by this experience.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
OK, about to eat some breakfast and then I'll be starting at 10:30 am, my time (no telling what time everywhere else).

Good luck to those who have joined in or who are thinking of doing so!

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Still at it. I'm at 1084 so far for the day, which is flying for me (I write at speed of slug). I'll be taking a break to make dinner and then come back at it later. How's everyone doing?

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
12:19 pm: Got 1,434 words after about an hour. Not my best speed, but not terrible either. Since I'm working on a short story that I don't know how it's going to end, it's going a bit slower. But I'm slowing pushing towards the end!

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
12:57 p.m.: Up to 2,153 just in time for lunch and finished the first draft of my short story. Edits come tomorrow. Next phase: work on the novel! Woo hoo!

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
You're a braver (and/or less sane) man than I am, and your writing will thrive because of it. May your commitment to writing (and your awesome ideas) lead to a hard-earned and well-deserved success!

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Aaand I stalled on the second half of my day. This happens sometimes. Got some story notes made, though, and the chapter is going well. I may finish it up tomorrow. But for now, I'm off to read and relax.

Good luck, guys!

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Sorry you didn't make it, but thanks for giving it a try!

3:25 pm: After eating lunch, I turned to work on my novel and got about 1,150 so far. That brings me to 3,303 words so far today (counting from the short story earlier. Going to take a break for about 10 minutes and do a bit of pre-writing so I know where this next part of the novel is going. I have an outline, but I need to make sure it follows it and doesn't veer off somewhere else like it looks like it's going.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
4:30 pm: Up to 4,137, which I believe is closing on in NaNoWriMo "really good day levels." I need to take a longer break for a bit and do some cardio to get the blood flowing. Feeling a bit stiff. I think (just maybe) I may be able to get 6,000-8,000 words when it's all said and done today. Maybe? Maybe.

Last edited:

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
6:32 pm: I went jogging for about 30 minutes, got back and started writing more. I'm up to 4,844 words now for the day. Still have about 3 and half hours before my wife gets home to crank more words out, but I may have to eat dinner soon. Actually, probably do that now.

One thing I've learned. Writing all day isn't really that hard as long as you take breaks here and there and you limit distractions. I've lost some time screwing around on Facebook a couple of times and Youtube, but other than that, I've mostly been writing all day.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Well, that settles it. I've got housecleaning to neglect. Let's see how many words I can spew out before midnight - or until I grow bored. I've got booze and beers. Let's do this!

Edit: Current document when starting out is at 2640 words. It's seven hours and four minutes to midnight. Gonna try and reach 5k words total at least.

Turns out I ended at 3902 words total last night, so not even close to the 5k target. I got one scene finished though so I guess that's something at least.