• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Plot idea

Queshire

Istar
So here's my latest idea for the plot of my first book / short story. Loner ordinary high school student Arthur Jones is walking by himself one night when out of the blue a beam of light / meteor appears and almost hits him. Out of the crash sight comes cute demon girl Sera Lych. She had been messing around with her father's new dimensional transfer device and accidently got stranded on Earth when it broke. However, in her world Earth is considered a Death World, dragon slayings, witch burnings, men in black, being dissected. Earth has a reputation for being suicide to travel to. Now Arthur has to try and keep her safe and secret until she can fix her device... unfortunately she doesn't have the first clue how to do that. Wackiness ensures.

I know that seems cliche, but is it too cliche? That's only the basic premise, it'd eventually get more complicated with alien-like angels, Men in Black, and all sorts of stuff happening.

As long as you figure out a reason for people to be looking for her. Earth is constantly hit be junk from space. If her incoming trek was unusual and highly noticed by many people, then it might warrant notice.

Even in comedic stories they have to maintain a level of believability.

first and foremost in regards to your question about it being too "cliché"*; something is only a cliché when it is both overused and poorly done - if it's well written then it's not a cliché, even if it's not the most origional idea in the world.

so, I quite like the basic premise, mostly because I've seen it be done well enough times, though it does seem to lend itself to more of a monster of the week/serial format than litrature, but that's easy to work around.

First question; was there anything special about her crash landing, or did it just appear to be a rondom meteorite? Maybe the MiBs had erected an interstellar partition around earth and fear she's interupting it, or maybe her people might assume she has been kidnapped if she;s anyone important

second question; Are there any dragon slayings and witch burnings or is it just earth? as if not well, it'd simply make her look stupid if those beliefs don't vanish very quickly when exposed to the real world - or would be an annoying personality quirk that may sour people against her. Also, I'd like to see an ordinary hight school student in a world where there are dragon slayings, just to see what it likes

third point: The angel-like aliens sound intresting, be sure to filll us in with more details when you have them :D

* A word I move to have stricked from the dictionary to be replaced with poorly written. (especially since most things that are considered cliche become so in a small span of years, and thus in many cases people will write the exact opposite far more commonly for far longer without this becoming considered a cliche, and without the origional (even if it is not used) stopping being a "cliche")

Queshire

Istar
Well first off she's not exactly from a different planet but a different dimension though it doesn't really matter.

First Answer: Earth's had something of an isolationist policy when it comes to inter-world travel for the last couple thousands of years, it's no longer anything official, but it's quite clear that magical beings are not welcome. Between fear of invasion, fear of the populace panicking, and various other reasons, magical beings get the short end of the stick. Everybody's important to somebody, but she's the great x10 grand daughter of the current dean of Scholomance, Hell's premier magical academy and research center.

Second Answer: No they don't do witch burning and dragon slayings, but there's still fear of in the other worlds, yeah she quickly relizes those aren't particularily problematic, but there's still the threat of being disected to see how she ticks.

Third Answer: It's the other way around, alien-like angels, while the lower ranked angels would be the classic halo and wings type, the higher ranked ones are based more on the original descriptions of angels which was frankly ****ed up. Wheels of fire, four heads, all sorts of weird, eldritch ambombination type stuff. Admittedly I haven't read the original thing, but for the higher ranked angels, I'm thinking all sorts of weird stuff, tentacles, lots of eyes, etc, and so on.

So here's my latest idea for the plot of my first book / short story. Loner ordinary high school student Arthur Jones is walking by himself one night when out of the blue a beam of light / meteor appears and almost hits him. Out of the crash sight comes cute demon girl Sera Lych. She had been messing around with her father's new dimensional transfer device and accidently got stranded on Earth when it broke. However, in her world Earth is considered a Death World, dragon slayings, witch burnings, men in black, being dissected. Earth has a reputation for being suicide to travel to. Now Arthur has to try and keep her safe and secret until she can fix her device... unfortunately she doesn't have the first clue how to do that. Wackiness ensures.

I know that seems cliche, but is it too cliche? That's only the basic premise, it'd eventually get more complicated with alien-like angels, Men in Black, and all sorts of stuff happening.

In terms of concept, I can honestly say I haven't seen this particular variant before, so I wouldn't worry about coming off as cliché. If anything it's the opposite - odd to the point of being mildly intimidating.

The premise tells me basically nothing about the story - it's so basic there isn't even any point in talking about clichés.

I guess the important question is: What are the themes of the story? Characters and plot and setting aside, what is the story actually about at the end of the day?