• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Possible lame-ass movie coming next year?

Reaver

Staff
Has anyone seen the Pacific Rim trailer? It's basically the story elements of Voltron, Mobile Suit Gundam, Robotech, Ultraman and Shogun Warriors all smashed together into a giant ball of shit and presented to you with big explosions and shiny special effects. So in other words, it'll probably be a box office smash. Parents can expect toys and video games to hit stores before the movie even hits theaters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mindfire

Istar
I don't know. I kinda like it. Just one thing throws me off. Was that the voice of GLaDOS? That's kinda distracting.

Aren't you just a ray of sunshine, Reaver.

It seems to be, well, a movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters. This is a formula the Japanese have been using for decades now, and it's certainly not a bad formula, or wouldn't be so popular over there. Frankly I'm surprised it took this long for an American version to show up.

It's much too early to tell if it's good or bad or just mediocre, though.

MadMadys

Troubadour
Del Toro has a good rep and hasn't made a movie I've really hated so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for the moment. Doesn't look terrible like the Superman trailer. Still, it's a movie I'll wait for reviews to come out before I spend money on a ticket.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
They had me at giant robot... hahha. One of my great weaknesses giant robots. I will watch even if it gets terrible reviews... then I'll bitch about it. :p

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I'm actually quite excited about this. Why?

1. It's got giant robots.
2. ...fighting giant monsters.
3. It's not ironic.
4. It's by Del Toro who has a pretty decent reputation and was once slated to direct "The Hobbit." He did "Pan's Labyrinth" which I think is a great, unique movie.

I wouldn't pre-judge just based on the trailer. Who knows, maybe it won't be good, but I wouldn't write it off just yet.

Last edited:

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
But lets face it... its a cgi retake on a 1960s Toho "Godzilla vs ..." movie without all the rights issues...
It will be terrible and I will love it!!! [while missing the man in the rubber suit from the original films and complaining about the fraction of a second editing that seems to be ubiquitous]

Del Toro has a good rep and hasn't made a movie I've really hated so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for the moment.

There's that, too. Del Toro is awesome.

But lets face it... its a cgi retake on a 1960s Toho "Godzilla vs ..." movie without all the rights issues...

I was actually thinking "clone of a clone of Neon Genesis Evangelion."

Though, I could swear I've seen that rocket punch somewhere before, but I can't place it.

Mindfire

Istar
Del Toro has a good rep and hasn't made a movie I've really hated so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for the moment. Doesn't look terrible like the Superman trailer. Still, it's a movie I'll wait for reviews to come out before I spend money on a ticket.

:confused: How does the Superman trailer look "terrible" exactly?

MadMadys

Troubadour
:confused: How does the Superman trailer look "terrible" exactly?

Nothing happens, quick cuts, "From the Director of Sucker Punch", and just generally left me with no desire to see the movie. As a fan of comic books in general, Man of Steel is not one of the movies I'm looking forward to in 2013.

Mindfire

Istar
Nothing happens, quick cuts, "From the Director of Sucker Punch", and just generally left me with no desire to see the movie. As a fan of comic books in general, Man of Steel is not one of the movies I'm looking forward to in 2013.

You have a bizarre way of looking at things. And of course nothing happens. That's what trailers DO. Its just a sample of the film's tone and atmosphere. Which is EPIC.

MadMadys

Troubadour
You have a bizarre way of looking at things. And of course nothing happens. That's what trailers DO. Its just a sample of the film's tone and atmosphere. Which is EPIC.

In good trailers, something does happen and then it stops which entices the viewer to want to see how it ends. That's when you buy the ticket. I recall people having similar feelings about 'Superman Returns' when that came out and my thoughts were equal to the ones I have now so I'm not terribly worried about it. In other movie news, 'A Dame To Kill For' will be coming out this year and I don't even need a trailer to be happy about that.

Mindfire

Istar
In good trailers, something does happen and then it stops which entices the viewer to want to see how it ends. That's when you buy the ticket. I recall people having similar feelings about 'Superman Returns' when that came out and my thoughts were equal to the ones I have now so I'm not terribly worried about it. In other movie news, 'A Dame To Kill For' will be coming out this year and I don't even need a trailer to be happy about that.

Entices the viewer to see more? Did you not see Superman breaking the sound barrier? Did you not see Zod? And if that wasn't enough, Superman gets an actual fight scene! How is that not interesting?

A Dame to Kill For? What is that? It sounds like a weird 50 shades spinoff.

MadMadys

Troubadour
Entices the viewer to see more? Did you not see Superman breaking the sound barrier? Did you not see Zod? And if that wasn't enough, Superman gets an actual fight scene! How is that not interesting?

Too many quick cuts for me to see much of anything and I saw it in IMax. Most of it was just 'superman doing superman' stuff. At this point in the character's history, it's rather bland. Sorry to say.

A Dame to Kill For? What is that? It sounds like a weird 50 shades spinoff.

Never read Sin City? Or saw the first movie? What a shame.

tlbodine

Troubadour
Of all the trailers shown before The Hobbit when I watched it yesterday, the only one I remembered afterward was Pacific Rim. Del Toro hasn't steered me wrong yet, I think he's one of the most interesting filmmakers working today. Although I don't like his American films as much as his Spanish-speaking movies. (Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favorite movies ever, and The Devil's Backbone is really great too).

I'm at the point where I like to think I know better than to try to guess at the future quality of a movie based on its trailer, either good or bad. I've seen such predictions go wrong far too many times. ;)

My great hope for Man of Steel is that Superman will actually be an interesting character for once (a la Superman II) rather than a boring, one-note hero with no flaws, a la all the other Superman movies). Which isn't to say that the first Chris Reeves Superman wasn't pretty much a comic book perfectly translated into movie form, and simultaneously proving that making a comic book story with live actors will inevitably be silly. Which also isn't to say that you can't make a movie about comic book characters that isn't a comic book; the first two X-Men movies prove that, among others.

Sheriff Woody

Troubadour
As a childhood fan of Robot Jox and all things with giant mechanized combat robots, I will be there on day one without question. :D

I was actually thinking "clone of a clone of Neon Genesis Evangelion."

Though, I could swear I've seen that rocket punch somewhere before, but I can't place it.

I was thinking NGE too (wow, not often I agree with you o_O), although in NGE we never actually know where the angels come from...still, rift at the bottom of the ocean seems as likely as anything.

Rocket punch has me thinking of Dai-Guard...which itself was wayyyyy rip-off-y of NGE (although what mecha done in the last 20 years hasn't been in some way? NGE rescued the mecha genre in the 90s).

Anyway, I'm super excited to see a giant-robot movie that actually looks relatively good. Transformers did not satisfy.