1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Publishing Problems

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by SmokeScribe98, Dec 30, 2013.

1. SmokeScribe98

SmokeScribe98 Minstrel

I've been away from writing for a good few months now but I've set it as my resolution this year to get back on track. I first want to polish up my already existing short story and attempt to publish it somewhere and then depending on how that goes start my larger project of creating a fantasy world which I intend to create a wiki page on that I will develop over the course of time.

I have heard of sites such as lulu, but other than that I have an extremely limited knowledge of how publishing works at all. So I ask for some guidance on where I should turn to and what I should do. Any help or assistance you can offer me would be extremely helpful. Grazzie.

2. A. E. Lowan

A. E. Lowan Forum Mom Leadership

Good questions, but this post probably belongs in the Publishing forum, down below.

3. SmokeScribe98

SmokeScribe98 Minstrel

Oh sorry, thanks for moving it.

4. AnneL

AnneL Closed Account

Worlds Without End has a pretty comprehensive list of SFF mags: https://www.worldswithoutend.com/resources_magazines.asp.

An EXCELLENT site for people to learn how the industry works and avoid getting screwed is Writer Beware: WRITER BEWARE® | SFWA.

Submit to agents/editors who publish what you like. Don't worry about comparing your style or specific content, target your submissions to people whose taste in reading is similar to yours.

5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Auror

To supplement what AnneL said above:

You can also find markets for your short story or stories and long fiction (but not agents, just publishers) at: Ralan.com .

6. SmokeScribe98

SmokeScribe98 Minstrel

What I'm wondering is, what's the best and easiest way for me to present the short story to the largest amount of people? On lulu, in a magazine, or some other means?

7. Motley

Motley Minstrel

Getting a story published in a magazine or emag with a large reader base is probably the best way. If you self-publish, how many people it gets in front of will be entirely up to your marketing efforts.

8. danr62

danr62 Sage

A recommendation I hear often is to submit short stories to paying markets. Then, when the rights revert after a few months (usually) or if no one buys the rights after you'be shopped them around a bit, you can self publish a collection of stories on Kindle.

9. SmokeScribe98

SmokeScribe98 Minstrel

I've also been wondering if entering it in as a competition entry might also be a good idea?