• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Quirks of highly intelligent people - First Person POV

Trick

Auror
There is a difference between high intelligence and high education/knowledge about a specific subject. Not every person with a PhD has an IQ over 135. (In fact, less than half of them do.) Nor does every person with genius-level IQ have an advanced degree. (A few are high school drop-outs.) I was simply asking for clarification as to which you meant.

On the other hand, I'm not qualified to have an opinion on this topic.

135? This whole time I have had the idea the OP was talking about a character with a 150-200 IQ range. A Mensa type...

Weaver

Sage
135? This whole time I have had the idea the OP was talking about a character with a 150-200 IQ range. A Mensa type...

Unless it has changed a lot in the last couple of years, an IQ of 135 (perhaps 132?) qualifies a person to join Mensa. In 1990, 140 was the cut-off. (I remember this because a woman I know was very angry about not quite making it with her mid-130s score.) They go by percentile, though, not the actual number of a score, because tests vary and what falls into the top 2 (?) percent of the population also changes from time to time.

And actually, I picked 135 because, at least a couple of decades ago, the average IQ for a person with a PhD was 130. So, less than half of them have an IQ of 135 or higher. So, having a PhD -- being highly educated -- is not proof of a person highly intelligent. Which was my point.

(According to something I saw online once, it isn't possible for a person to have a 200 IQ, because the percentiles don't allow for it -- not enough people in the world. Seems silly to me. Aren't extreme geniuses something of a statistical anomaly anyway?)

Trick

Auror
When it comes to IQ tests, variation seems to be the rule. This seems like tooting my own horn but it really isn't. I've never gotten below a 136 except on the Mensa test. I am not a genius. I am smart and great at visual and verbal patterns. My friend is a genius and sometimes makes me look like I should be eating paste. He is a Mensa member, according to testing. I guess I just don't think of anything under 150 as a genius.

To be honest, I have no idea what the highest possible IQ score is; I'm willing to bet that there exists more than one scale and definition.

Last edited: