• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Made it to Vegas. Conference begins in a couple of hours.

!?!?!

What have I gotten myself into this time...

You seem to be a bit hesitant about this, perhaps a bit afraid? Can we say that there might be some fear and loathing in Las Vegas?

Anyway, Have FUN!

Tom

Istar
Wow. O_O

I just finished Incarceron by Catherine Fisher, and am struggling to express how I feel about it...

I've been trying to kick a reading slump through reading as much as possible in a short amount of time. I'm still behind on my Goodreads Challenge though...

Oh hey, I read that book years ago! I actually read the sequel, Sapphique, first without realizing, so I had no idea what was happening through the entire book. It also didn't help that I had a fever and was mildly delirious. But yeah, it is a hard book to pin down. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. The characterization was nice but the plot was a little rambly and I....don't know about the style...? It was interesting.

Last edited:
Oh hey, I read that book years ago! I actually read the sequel, Sapphique, first without realizing, so I had no idea what was happening through the entire book. It also didn't help that I had a fever and was mildly delirious. But yeah, it is a hard book to pin down. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. The characterization was nice but the plot was a little rambly and I....don't know about the style...? It was interesting.

^Huh. Yeah, exactly.

Some of the twists confused the heck out of me as well. (You're telling me the Warden and...the Sapient in the tower with the sphere thingys whose name I forgot...are the same person? If so did the Warden poison Attia? Or did I totally misunderstand that? Why did the ring work on Attia but not on Gildas?....)

I enjoyed it and it was good but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I should given how good it was? Something like that.

Tom

Istar
Yeah, I just remember feeling a vague sense of dislike as I read it that I couldn't explain. A lot of the worldbuilding and plot twists were completely nonsensical to me.

Incanus

Auror
You seem to be a bit hesitant about this, perhaps a bit afraid? Can we say that there might be some fear and loathing in Las Vegas?

Anyway, Have FUN!

Great book and movie--of course, I didn't pack a suitcase full of drugs, unlike the original gonzo--

I'm already having fun. It's gonna be great.

Reactions: Ban

Tom

Istar
The concepts were intriguing, but their execution was......ehhh. Definitely could have stood to be thought out a little more. And like you said about chemistry--I don't even remember anything about the main romantic plot. Nothing. Or the majority of the character interactions, for that matter. They all stood as well-developed characters on their own but didn't have any real emotional connection to each other.

Shadow of the Colossus and ICO are two of the best games ever made: true works of art in all areas--sound effects, music, a deep yet minimalistic plot that has nearly unlimited ways to be mulled over and examined, beautiful visuals. --and I've played neither of them.

Tom

Istar
My kind of gamer! I'm good at appreciating games and very bad at actually finding time to play them.

^:) I only like specific games; I'm very picky about the things I like. I only have a DS, 3DS, PSP, and Wii. My small game collection includes: Metroid Zero Mission, Pokemon Pearl [my first video game ever], Pokemon Explorers of Sky, Dragon Quest IX [my first fantasy RPG!], Radiant Historia [one of the best games ever in my opinion], Castlevania Order of Eccelsia, Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, Pokemon X, Pokemon Moon, Super Smash Bros. 4, Final Fantasy Curtain Call, Tales of the Abyss, Rune Factory 4, [ditto FFVII and Radiant Historia], Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy VII [ditto Radiant Historia], Fire Emblem Fates [Birthright, Conquest, and Revelation], Okami, The Last Story, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

What games do you like/play?

On a totally unrelated note,
It's a mithril-clad rule that characters do not have human anatomy, sexual organs, or sex of any kind in my books. It's just :eew: :eew: :skull: :skull: utterly disgusting to me. Any characters who do have children reproduce by the intention to create and energy fusion.

^There is, however, [or consequently, depending on how you look at it], lots of brother-sister incest, twin-cest, marrying cousins, gays, lesbians, and non-gendered characters, and everyone is naked except for the ones who wear cloaks, because cloaks are just awesome.

Yes, I'm weird that way. :D There's also a peculiar and unique spirituality that is both subtle and unsubtle, but I'm not trying to convert anyone or force people to accept my view of the universe. I'm neither religious nor atheist; undefinable.

^:) I only like specific games; I'm very picky about the things I like. I only have a DS, 3DS, PSP, and Wii. My small game collection includes: Metroid Zero Mission, Pokemon Pearl [my first video game ever], Pokemon Explorers of Sky, Dragon Quest IX [my first fantasy RPG!], Radiant Historia [one of the best games ever in my opinion], Castlevania Order of Eccelsia, Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, Pokemon X, Pokemon Moon, Super Smash Bros. 4, Final Fantasy Curtain Call, Tales of the Abyss, Rune Factory 4, [ditto FFVII and Radiant Historia], Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy VII [ditto Radiant Historia], Fire Emblem Fates [Birthright, Conquest, and Revelation], Okami, The Last Story, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

It's a mithril-clad rule that characters do not have human anatomy, sexual organs, or sex of any kind in my books. It's just :eew: :eew: :skull: :skull: utterly disgusting to me. Any characters who do have children reproduce by the intention to create and energy fusion.

that's more games than i've ever played! I only know some online MMORPG's, Donkey Kong Country Returns (which is actually great fun), New Super Mario Brothers, some kind of terrible games adapted from movies by brothers watched, Broken Age (the mobile version, it's amazing but i havent touched it in a month cuz i'm stuck on a part), uh I might be missing some but mostly just my lil brother's games. Oh yeah lego star wars 3 which is kind of boring. (Ive heard other Lego games are better, but I haven't played them.) I would like to venture out into the wide world of gaming but I balk at it cuz I know it would eat my life lol. So I just play whatever my younger brothers play (except Super Mario Galaxy which is boring as far as I can tell.)

Oh, and some Mario Kart while visiting at friends houses of course.

Oh yeah, i've played DragonVale for something like 4 years (off and on now) but idk if that counts since it's an app.

I'm like a weakly aspiring gamer or something.

Tom

Istar

Sweet!

I'm broke and only have a PS3 right now, so I can't play some of the games I'd like to. I enjoy the Dragon Age and Mass Effect series, Skyrim, Dishonored, Bioshock, Fallout--mostly the big name stuff. I haven't had a chance to play much of anything not supported by the PS3, unfortunately.

So no human characters? Huh, that's interesting--I'm the exact opposite. I love writing about humans, and as an art major specializing in character design, the human figure is the most common subject I draw. The nature of human beings and how we relate to our physical bodies is fascinating to me, and my writing style is physically oriented--a lot of sensory description and as much of a focus on body language as spoken dialogue.

I just finished another book (I read almost the whole thing just today) and I have been reading so much lately I feel like my brain has been dragged over gravel.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I'm STILL behind on my goodreads challenge...

Reactions: Tom