• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

GeekDavid

Auror
Jobhunting these days is really getting me down. Applying over and over to the same places who haven't yet hired me just feels like looking in the same near-empty fridge every five minutes to see if there's food. I keep hoping I'll be lucky and discover that somebody went shopping, but mostly I just find myself staring at condiments.

I agree. :(

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Getting excited about seeing The Hobbit in a week and a half! I just really, REALLY hope they don't turn Legolas into the Captain Obvious he was in the LOTR movies. Really.

GeekDavid

Auror
Getting excited about seeing The Hobbit in a week and a half! I just really, REALLY hope they don't turn Legolas into the Captain Obvious he was in the LOTR movies. Really.

It's Hollyweird. Of course they will. And they'll make someone into Jar Jar, to bring in the young kids.

GeekDavid

Auror

Not to mention that the same people that did that to the honorable Legolas in the LotR movies are making this one. Trust me, they'll do it again. They might even ramp it up just to "prove" to the fans that they're "right." That's the way movie moguls think.

SeverinR

Vala
If I owned a donkey, I think during the holidays I would suspend mistletoe above it. Just to let people know what I think.
:)

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Spoiler for those who haven't read Harry Potter (which probably isn't many, but still):

What would have happened if Harry had been killed by the Basilisk fang in Book 2? Basilisk venom is one thing that can destroy Horcruxes, which Harry was at that point. So if he died, the bit of Voldemort in him would have died too. And he would have died trying to protect Ginny, which ties into the sacrifice theme of Book 7. Also, he would have died by Voldemort's hand (by proxy, it being Tom Riddle's memory who sent the Basilisk after him). So would it have worked out more or less the same (aside from the remaining Horcruxes)? Would Harry have been able to come back to life and eventually destroy Voldemort as he should?

Guru Coyote

Archmage
When my friends came over to visit, they discovered the dried up husk of a plant they had given me. I just shrugged and said: "It looked kinda gray when you brought it."
Took them a moment to remember I am colorblind.

SeverinR

Vala
Eshai'du
So many it applies too, yet they don't even know it.
I guess because they are Eshai'du.

Just found an old quote.

Eshai'du Colloquially "dumbass;" more likely "ignorant" (Origin - t)

SeverinR

Vala
No one that has gone to war, ever comes back the same. But they are not lost souls never to be a part of society again. They can build from what is left if they are shown how to cope.
Society forced them to go into battle, they should pay to show them the way home again.

(this borders on political, so lets keep it A-political.)

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
My "random" thought is not random at all - just a geeky confession. The band Manfactory just released its third Street-Fighter-II-inspired album yesterday, and I just downloaded albums #2 and #3. Street Fight! Round One is free. I think I still lived in HK when I downloaded that one.

Maybe the free album's the best of the bunch - I love the way the songs play as if you're listening to one 25-minute song, but I wanted closure so I collected them all.

Girls kicked ass today. I read a nice Brienne scene in Feast of Crows ("Laugh.") and Chun Li's the champ (take THAT, Akuma-users!) according the music I downloaded. And my wife and daughters got me to shop all day, so I guess I got beaten by girls, too. But I had my thick GRRM book to keep me sane, so shopping day was fine with me.

Guru Coyote

Archmage
Outtake from the current storyline:

Reemu: "And we could raise goats."
Awynn: "What's a goat?"
Reemu: "You don't know what a goat is?!"
Awynn: "No. Describe one to me."
Reemu: "Ok. It has cloven hooves, that's like a horse, just split in two. And it has this white little beard under its chin, a thin tail with a little tufft at its end."
Awynn: "Does this create have a horn?"
Reemu: "Why, yes, billy goats have horns."
Awynn: "We call those unicorn."

SeverinR

Vala
A knight in shining armor is more worried about appearance then substance. Any man that has fought will never polish out the dents and tarnish of war.

I credit this one to a post on Facebook, that made me think of this.

Last edited:

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Inspirational Facebook picture quote of the day: "An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backwards. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to "pah-TOINGGGG" you into something great. So just focus, and keep aiming."