• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Tom

Istar
So I haven't had a haircut in a while, and tonight I was excited to discover that my hair is long enough to recreate the impressively tall fauxhawk I had in high school. Can't believe I used to put that much effort into my hair. Of course, that was almost all the effort I ever put into my appearance--I remember all I used to wear back then were band t-shirts, ripped jeans, and scuffed Converse that looked like they'd been to hell and back. Every day.

Not much has changed, actually.

Tom

Istar
I don't want to be That Guy Who Double-Posts, but..wooooo. Man.

Not even half an hour ago I had to haul my elderly golden retriever mix out of a ravine after he fell down a slide area and got wedged between two fallen trees just before a sheer drop. He has a neurodegenerative disorder that's causing him to lose feeling and muscle tone in his hind legs, so there's no way he could've gotten out himself if I hadn't found him after realizing he wasn't around. I'm so, so incredibly thankful that he didn't break any bones. It could have been a very different scene when I reached him if he'd fallen at any other point on the ravine. Oh god. I'm just glad he's okay.

Wow. Shoving one hundred pounds of shaking, panting, staggering dog up a near-vertical slope is not how I pictured spending my day off.

Last edited:

Nimue

Auror
Oh no oh no oh noooooooo I'm glad he's okay! That is so scary! (Sorry I've just got back from a beer festival but seriously. You poor guys.)

Reactions: Tom

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I don't want to be That Guy Who Double-Posts, but..wooooo. Man.

Not even half an hour ago I had to haul my elderly golden retriever mix out of a ravine after he fell down a slide area and got wedged between two fallen trees just before a sheer drop. He has a neurodegenerative disorder that's causing him to lose feeling and muscle tone in his hind legs, so there's no way he could've gotten out himself if I hadn't found him after realizing he wasn't around. I'm so, so incredibly thankful that he didn't break any bones. It could have been a very different scene when I reached him if he'd fallen at any other point on the ravine. Oh god. I'm just glad he's okay.

Wow. Shoving one hundred pounds of shaking, panting, staggering dog up a near-vertical slope is not how I pictured spending my day off.

Hooray for living dogs! I'm glad yours is fine. Mine is contently stinking up the place next to me.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I'm trying to come up with a name for Roy's coach, and my brain's dead set on calling him Ford Harrison. I need a replacement brain.

EDIT: Fixed it. The coach is now Jenny Ford.

Last edited:
Decided that since it's summer, it's time for the obligatory annual Lord of the Rings rewatch. One down, two more to go!

Man, it it feels like it's been an eternity since the day I bought Fellowship and Two Towers for a buck each on VHS at a garage sale. I wish I could recapture the feeling of watching Middle Earth unfold from those staticky old tapes for the first time.

Me and my bestie are watching the Return of the King at her house tomorrow :D

^Or I quote random lines at random times. It can make conversations make zero sense, especially since my mum's friend often has no idea what I'm even talking about. :D :p

Why do all of my 'wish fulfillment' daydreams involve the wizard 'love interest' being killed or terribly injured in some way? My mind is so very strange...:confused:

I watched The Lion King and Bambi and Fantasia when I was quite little, at my Nana and Grandpa's old house. Looking back on it now, how are the first two remotely family friendly? 8O According to my mum, Bambi upset me so much that for a long time I wouldn't let her out of my sight.

Tom

Istar
I just successfully installed the driver for my old Bamboo tablet on my new laptop! I was afraid I wouldn't be able to because Wacom discontinued their Bamboo line, but they were decent enough to keep the driver downloads available on their website. Good to know my tablet is not useless as I thought it would be. Now I can get back to digital art without any problems!

Nimue

Auror
Woohoo! I just had to replace my tablet, and the new shiny one is on my desk looking expectantly at me... Still haven't done anything with it

I just successfully installed the driver for my old Bamboo tablet on my new laptop! I was afraid I wouldn't be able to because Wacom discontinued their Bamboo line, but they were decent enough to keep the driver downloads available on their website. Good to know my tablet is not useless as I thought it would be. Now I can get back to digital art without any problems!

I have a Bamboo tablet but it's been sitting in my desk drawer for years...

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I watched The Lion King and Bambi and Fantasia when I was quite little, at my Nana and Grandpa's old house. Looking back on it now, how are the first two remotely family friendly? 8O According to my mum, Bambi upset me so much that for a long time I wouldn't let her out of my sight.
Kids were tougher back-in-the-day [and I'm only half joking].
The first time I saw Bambi I was 19 or 20 and I balled my eyes out. My girlfriend at the time still doesn't let me forget it.
When I saw Fantasia I was about 4 and children about the same age peed themselves when Night on Bald Mountain came on screen.
I have not seen The Lion King and as it has songs by Elton John I doubt I ever will.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
How are they not family friendly?

I startedmy daughter off right, watching LoTR by the age of... sheesh, real young. She wouldn't let me turn them off.

When I was a young kid, Escape to Witch Mountain was one of my favorite movies, but even at the time I knew how much it creeped me out. I don't know how it'd play today, heh.

Tom

Istar
Woohoo! I just had to replace my tablet, and the new shiny one is on my desk looking expectantly at me... Still haven't done anything with it

Get using that tablet! I haven't used mine since before spring finals, and let me tell you...muscle memory doesn't maintain itself, lol.

I have a Bamboo tablet but it's been sitting in my desk drawer for years...

Get it booted up and use it! Bamboos are great. They're not the best with pressure sensitivity, but they're easy to use and very durable. I've had mine for three years now and it's just starting to show surface scratches and other signs of wear.