• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Real life references in fantasy

OGone

Troubadour
I'm reading Prince of Thorns at the moment. On one page Mark Lawrence, the author, quotes Nietzsche, a German philosopher who I'm guessing was born way after the novel is meant to take place. In fact, having read it about half the way through I'm still unsure exactly if it's set in a fictional world or not. He constantly references the Romans, Nubans, Sun Tzu and a bunch of other real life empires and figures but I'm sure his world is set in a fictional one.

Maybe I'm wrong and it isn't but I thought that maybe I could actually do this in my writing. Despite being set in a fictional world, I sometimes reference real-life nursery rhymes for easy analogies. I'd like to carry it over and use the same people we have. It saves a lot of world building and explaining to the reader, if I wanted a character to quote, say, Gandhi in dialogue then I'd have to create a new character and give a paragraph of world building just to make the point or the reader will be totally confused.

If I just say Gandhi was a... Tengu... who led the Tengu to independence in the year 173 during the second age then I can reference everything Gandhi said without having to create a character, for the convenience of the readers (and also myself).

Is that... lazy? It's actually really something I want to incorporate. Anybody know any fantasy novels that do this?

Another thing, which is kind of related, is that I've always tried to avoid using words which only came into existence after roughly the time where my fantasy world's technology is at. So for example if I wanted to use "pillbox" in a description then I'd avoid it because it only came into use in the very late 19th century (my technology level is around about the 16th-17th). I'm thinking of scrapping this as well and just using these words. I can then define them as something else in my world.

If the Lizardmen use a pillbox with a gatling gun firing arrows, it's easier to just say that than worry about if the terms pillbox and gatling gun would exist yet in my world. I mean, I have lizard men. It's not really that much of a push.

Is that jarring for a reader? Say if a character in a world resembling the 11th century makes reference to "electricity" in the sky, is that so bad?

Scales

Minstrel
A few of my characters in my trilogy are also based on real people from Japan. I do not think is is lazy if you give the character a different personality.

Butterfly

Auror
Speaking of this... I've just come across a mention of a certain fairytale involving a certain enchanted frog in A Dance with Dragons. Martin kept the details vague and attributed the tale to one told to children across the sea... it has been done but I think as the op has shown... choose them wisely or they could confuse the reader into seeing the story as something it is not. If it can be made to fit the world then go ahead...

Chilari

Staff
Prince of Thorns was set in our own world, 1,000 years after a nuclear war destroyed the world we're familiar with and broke physics. That's why Nietzsche, Plutarch, and in Emperor of Thorns, Captain Kirk, are refered to.

OGone

Troubadour
Prince of Thorns was set in our own world, 1,000 years after a nuclear war destroyed the world we're familiar with and broke physics. That's why Nietzsche, Plutarch, and in Emperor of Thorns, Captain Kirk, are refered to.

Had absolutely no idea, literally hasn't been mentioned up until this point. Kinda constitutes a spoiler, that's why I didn't just Google it. I'm too bothered though. Regardless, my idea still stands on its own.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
OGone, in reference to Prince of Thorns, I won't spoiler it, but I will point you to a previous thread on this forum discussing sign posts versus billboards in writing.

Writing in a purely fantasy world, as opposed to the urban fantasy we write, as a reader I would find running across real world references extremely jarring. It would shock me out of the story world and would probably be enough to make me put the book down. Personal opinion, but to me that's lazy writing.

Chilari

Staff
Prince of Thorns being set in a post-apocalyptic world is hardly a spoiler, not by half way through. There are all sorts of references. The Builder's Sun? Strangeness of the buildings? The map?

OGone

Troubadour
Prince of Thorns being set in a post-apocalyptic world is hardly a spoiler, not by half way through. There are all sorts of references. The Builder's Sun? Strangeness of the buildings? The map?

I hadn't a clue. The map looked a lot like Europe but not exactly, so I didn't think anything of it really. Apart from that, I didn't know what you meant by the Builder's Sun so googled it to see if I've missed something. I'm not actually up to that part yet, so yeah I would consider it a spoiler. Only minor though, and I'm not bothered about it. Other people might be though, some people are iffy about things like that.

Last edited:

C Hollis

Troubadour
I've only thrown books in the big blue bucket a few times, and a recent read made me wish it wasn't on my Kindle, so I could throw it in the blue bucket, pour gasoline on it, and watch it blaze.

Multiple uses of words and phrases from what I consider the modern age was one of several of the books crimes against the reader.

Gatling gun would most definitely be a reference that would blast me right out of a fantastical setting, especially considering its name is also the inventor's name.

Just an opinion from another aspiring author, but to answer your question: it would be lazy.

There will be readers familiar with quotes from historical figures, and they will likely read those quotes in a fantasy novel and say one word: Really?

I'm not saying it wouldn't work, or it hasn't worked, but I am not a fan.