• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Recommend me some damn books.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Not fantasy, but I'm also reading The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. It is good, so far.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clark. Amazing stand-alone novel that departs from the typical fantasy style.

I started that one once, but I found the whole beginning to be excrutiatingly boring.

(My brother, who loved it, claimed it's supposed to be boring in the beginning, but I don't think that's a valid excuse, and certainly not a good strategy to get me to read a book of almost 800 pages.)

FatCat

Maester
I started that one once, but I found the whole beginning to be excrutiatingly boring.

(My brother, who loved it, claimed it's supposed to be boring in the beginning, but I don't think that's a valid excuse, and certainly not a good strategy to get me to read a book of almost 800 pages.)

It does start slow, but it's worth the time.

Chime85

Sage
Can anyone recommend me something that is more character led than situation led? a book that can bring the characters to heart long before I care about the plot?

ps: the "top 10" don't count. I have done the usual Tolkien, J.K rowling, Terry Pratchett etc. Throw me a curve ball :)

That said, if you throw me a dud, I WILL hunt you down on these forums hehe :p xx

J. S. Elliot

Inkling
Can anyone recommend me something that is more character led than situation led? a book that can bring the characters to heart long before I care about the plot?

ps: the "top 10" don't count. I have done the usual Tolkien, J.K rowling, Terry Pratchett etc. Throw me a curve ball :)

That said, if you throw me a dud, I WILL hunt you down on these forums hehe :p xx

Age of Fire - Book I: Dragon Champion. E.E. Knight

I'm about halfway through this book, though I would've already been finished if it weren't for sporadic work hours. Thus far, though, not only is it an extremely unique perspective, it's also mostly character-driven thus far. Outside-plot, so to speak, isn't overly present (most of the outside plot has been little tangents that further spur the protagonist to deeper exploration). But being that the protagonist himself is a dragon, I was interested from the opening scene on.

Oh, and Knight gets bonus points for rethinking the "classic" fantasy races - elves, dwarves, etc. They actually have a fair bit of life to them.

So, yes, I'd recommend it. ^^

Jess A

Archmage
Glenda Larke - Isles of Glory trilogy (I've yet to read her others). Aussie author.

K. J. Taylor's The Fallen Moon series. (Dark Griffin Australia-US-Czech)

Rachel Neumeier - Griffin Mage trilogy - a little odd but good.

Kate Forsyth - Witches of Eileanan and Rhiannon's Ride.

Robin Hobb - Farseer Trilogy and the Liveship Traders.

Sara Douglass - any of hers, start with Battleaxe, Threshold or Beyond the Hanging Wall (the last two are stand alones).

Katherine Kerr - Deverry series.

Maggie Furey - The Artefacts of Power - simple, quick reads but I enjoyed them.

---

Too lazy to go upstairs to my bookshelf to see what else I can recommend. I can't remember a lot of authors sitting here at my computer chair. Some other major authors you might have read - like Raymond Feist (his early stuff), Juliet Marillier, Mercedes Lackey etc. As for non-fantasy, I really like Nelson DeMille - anything with John Corey in it. Espionage-type stuff.

Jess A

Archmage

Despite Game of Thrones being thrown around a lot, I tend to agree - it's good where characters are concerned. I like a flawed character. Not my favourite series, but I like the characters.

Read Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy. Almost annoyingly slow in parts rather than action driven, but I do love her characters. The story is told in first person - it follows the boy growing up. I love the world she builds and the characters she portrays. Her main character is a bit of a pity party in some ways, but she almost makes mockery of the terrible situations he gets into.