• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Sage advice about writing you've been given over the years

Jess A

Archmage
Keeping track of daily word-count sure is a good motivator to keep writing... but a word of caution: word-count is not a very good measurement for productivity. 10000 words that need three re-writes to be usable are nothing compared to 7000 words that were right the first time.

Yes - I am one of those who re-writes and re-writes, and I may have written 10,000 pages, but I may not use it all. It can be frustrating. But if done correctly, I agree with the above that it is a nice feeling to see your progress, if it is progress, at the end of the day.

Guru Coyote

Archmage
I totally agree with the "building a habit" idea and the idea of "the more you write, the stronger you get."

Personally I fall into the camp of those who like to get things right the first time around... simply because I may not ever return to something "finished" to clean it up or even re write.

What I've done to great success though, was to write 750 words a day, and be prepared to simply discard the result. Many days I would just trash it, but I've had full first drafts come out of this too.

Jess A

Archmage
I totally agree with the "building a habit" idea and the idea of "the more you write, the stronger you get."

Personally I fall into the camp of those who like to get things right the first time around... simply because I may not ever return to something "finished" to clean it up or even re write.

What I've done to great success though, was to write 750 words a day, and be prepared to simply discard the result. Many days I would just trash it, but I've had full first drafts come out of this too.

I'm too prepared to discard the result. ;) But yes I see your point.