• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

SFPBO 10 Contest

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Self published fantasy blog off… says right on top of the page.

No worries though. You dont have to enter.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Nope, two of the ones I won were "pro" indie book awards and the other was an Epic Fantasy Only (loosely defined) Reader's Choice award that since went defunct. The latter was trying to do what Mark Lawrence did except with Epic only. SPFBO is wide open to all fantasy and the winners have been all over the place. Plus, get the wrong judges who hate your genre and... Splat! LOL.

If I had the time and money to do it right, I'd start an Epic only contest because it just makes sense to break the contest into subgenres. I would do Epic, Urban, Sci-Fantasy, at least. There is also Sci-Fi version of this contest.

Is this the one you you won previously?

Something to shoot for in '25 for sure. I bet the chances get tough though, I can only imagine the number of submissions just go up every year, that random 300 isn't too bad outta 525, but outta 3k...
It would be fun to make this a goal though.

A ticking clock is as good for the plotter as it is for the plot, after all.

I bet the chances get tough though, I can only imagine the number of submissions just go up every year, that random 300 isn't too bad outta 525, but outta 3k...
There were about 600 entries last year. Must be said that they limited it to 600 then and simply closed the submissions after they received those. Now they kept them open for 24hrs to give everyone a fair chance of entering.

Might be that there are fewer entries now because of the controversy surrounding the (only slightly related) cover contest last edition.

If you can get in (with a good book) and get a bit lucky with reaching the right blogger, then it's great exposure. There's also a chance of connecting with other authors and having some promo opportunities with them. I know an author who made semi-finals last edition, and she organized a few events with a couple of like-minded authors. Looked like great fun.