• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Shameless Self-Appreciation Thread

First edit is complete, and I'm ready for round two. Meeting with the illustrator in two hours! I'm utterly psyched!

My first draft is completed and I'm halfway through a first revision. I'm busy chasing down inconsistencies and plot holes.

Length = 180,150 words - so I guess my next step is figuring out what I can get rid of.

ccrogers3d

Scribe
I wrote, illustrated and self-published a graphic novel - 150+ full-color pages. It took three years. This is a bucket-list level achievement for me, so YAY! *confetti*

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I finally finished something completely!

Tonight, I submitted my novelette, Abuse of Power, for publication in Myths Inscribed.

Even with all the drafts and revisions, part of me wishes I had more time to add yet more tension and more emotion. On the other hand, today I wrote that one of my characters "snarled his lips into a feral grin," so maybe it's good that I'm finished looking at it.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I finally finished something completely!

Tonight, I submitted my novelette, Abuse of Power, for publication in Myths Inscribed.

Even with all the drafts and revisions, part of me wishes I had more time to add yet more tension and more emotion. On the other hand, today I wrote that one of my characters "snarled his lips into a feral grin," so maybe it's good that I'm finished looking at it.

That's great news! Congratulations.
Hoping you get an acceptance 1st go....

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
That's great news! Congratulations.
Hoping you get an acceptance 1st go....

Me too, but the important thing, in my view, is that something is done. I've been working on my novel for over a year and a half. Though I "finished" the rough draft, there's still a long journey ahead before I can put it totally to bed. The novelette, I'm declaring "done."

It is, I think, the best I can make it with my current skill level. It will be interesting to see what I think of it if I reread it in a year or two.

Chilari

Staff
I also submitted something to Myths Inscribed. It's part of something I've been working on off and on for a few years, but never quite got down. I was going to try to portray the whole arc in under 3000 words, which I think would have been doable, but wouldn't have done it justice. And I was uneasy about the role one of the characters had - it was too passive. So pretty much last minute I changed things around, turned two characters (a wizard and his widowed sister) into one (a witch) and chose a small, standalone part of the story to write as a full arc and I'm quite happy with it. Fingers thoroughly crossed.

In fact I've had quite a productive week. I also wrote a poem I'm quite happy with and put up an article on my website; it's about great locations in fantasy.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I also submitted something to Myths Inscribed. It's part of something I've been working on off and on for a few years, but never quite got down. I was going to try to portray the whole arc in under 3000 words, which I think would have been doable, but wouldn't have done it justice. And I was uneasy about the role one of the characters had - it was too passive. So pretty much last minute I changed things around, turned two characters (a wizard and his widowed sister) into one (a witch) and chose a small, standalone part of the story to write as a full arc and I'm quite happy with it. Fingers thoroughly crossed.

In fact I've had quite a productive week. I also wrote a poem I'm quite happy with and put up an article on my website; it's about great locations in fantasy.

Congrats! Good luck.

Amanita

Maester
I've finally finished the second version of my first Lenima book. The first one has been five years ago, the ones in between have never made it to the end, but this time, I'm quite satisfied. It needs some work at the beginning and some shortening in the middle but all in all I like what I did so far.
Doubt that many other people do, but that's a different matter. ;)

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Congratulations, Amanita!!

The feeling when you finish at last a novel is really wonderful, it gives you a great satisfaction and it's very important to power you up as a writer, helping you a lot to go ahead and write another novel =)

I wish that you will be successful in writing all of your Lenima series, keep up the great work!

ALB2012

Maester
Awesome Aminata, you certainly have an interesting world. If you publish do let me know I would like to read it.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Today I have reached 70179 words in my third and final Joan of England novel: Queen Eternal.

After working on this novel for two years I am finally close, really close to finish it... I have been working on the trilogy since 2007, and now I am starting to really feel the pure joy and excitement caused by being so close to my final goal =)

This is so exciting!!

Sparkie

Auror
Two years on this book and over five years total work coming to a close, eh? Congrats, Sheilawisz! I bet that feels good. Is there a sense of relief that comes with it?

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Thank you, Sparkie!!

Yes, there is a strong sense of relief coming together with the excitement... I have focused so many efforts on Joan of England for five years, so after I finish it finally I will be able to return to work on my other Fantasy stories =)

I am quite impatient, but it's necessary to keep writing with calm and do everything right.