• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Shannara TV series.

Mindfire

Istar
A whole squad of elven 'warriors' can't handle a wolf or whatever that thing was in the woods and have to be saved by Eretria.

Amberle has no situational awareness and gets taken hostage immediately by a guy coming at her from the side after drawing her sword and walking forward to join a fight.

I guess elves suck at fighting no matter how cool they dress, HUMAN PRIDE.

And don't forget Amberle being so stupid as to insist that they keep their captive- who is ready to screw them at the earliest opportunity- alive rather than giving him the execution he definitely deserves. And then sets him free during the chaos of a demon attack, which would be the prime moment for him to screw the rest of them over. Amberle clearly hasn't learned the difference between "honorable" and "Too Dumb To Live". I don't care what they call themselves, these guys are not elves. They have no wisdom, no gravitas, and their military power is weaksauce. Arwen could solo their entire army.

glutton

Inkling
Watch The Expanse instead. Much better :)

No incredibly gorgeous and badass-looking elf 'warrior' who can't actually fight or lead though.

The 'most amazing looking character who isn't actually cool' award might go to Katniss Amberdeen.

I was probably going to wait until this was available in disc form. But...

is there really pop music in the soundtrack? If so, then it's a non-starter for me. I'm not sure there is anything more jarring.

Could someone confirm/elaborate on this?
There is about one song per episode. They're not Justin Bieber or Mariah Carey-leveled pop, they sound more like Lana Del Rey type music (I'm not really big into modern pop music so it's hard to describe it). I think it's fairly tasteful considering but I couldn't get over it.

Incanus

Auror
There is about one song per episode. They're not Justin Bieber or Mariah Carey-leveled pop, they sound more like Lana Del Rey type music (I'm not really big into modern pop music so it's hard to describe it). I think it's fairly tasteful considering but I couldn't get over it.

Ah, thanks. I've never heard of Lana Del Rey, but all in all, this show sounds like... well, not my kind of thing after all. I mean, I can't even watch Shrek movies for a similar reason.

I recently watched the whole thing.

The writing is extremely bad.

Teleporting from place to place—not actual teleporting, but you get the sense that everything that happens on the show would fit inside Chicago, and much of it within a few city blocks. This is a show where a ride one direction, fraught with dangers and holdups, might take about a week total (if that), but the ride back takes 30 minutes and there are absolutely no hurdles or obstacles coming back.

The writers/directors seemed to be going for a coolness factor—and failing—rather than anything requiring logic or reason. A couple examples:

• The best place to stand when looking at a map is at the top of an extremely large behemoth of a statue that has no discernible way to scale it. Especially, when you are in a hurry to get away.
  • Make sure to have the leader of the good guys' army say "We are outnumbered 1000 to 1!" when you've also let the audience know that a recent ally has brought 5000 warriors to help out. That puts the enemy force at substantially more than 5,000,000 if your own forces ("greatest army in the 4 lands") are greater than that allied force.

If there's a dire situation, with death hanging all around you and the clock running out, that's the best time to pause for a 2-3 minute heart-to-heart chat between characters. Perhaps this is the YA pandering in action.

I could go on and on but I'd need more spoiler tags.

Last edited:
The show was pretty underwhelming in my opinion. The only reason why I watched the whole season was because Manu Bennett is awesome, and does really well in the role of Allanon. But a solid actor can't save a show all alone.