• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Sheilawisz's First Law

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
@Mindfire: Sure, many Wizards would die in the nuclear war and the radioactive fallout, but just like some Muggles would manage to survive the disaster, some Wizards would survive as well- With the technological world crippled, what chance could the survivors stand against Magic??

This would be an excellent fanfiction =)

Anyway, it would be foolish to start a nuclear war: If they have already Imperiused the most powerful world leaders, then the Wizards would effectively be the rulers of the Muggle world.

@Queshire: I know that all of the tactics that I have proposed would be considered awful and illegal by most Wizards, and many of them would oppose the war: This would never happen for real in the Harry Potter world, the Author would hate it =)

The idea here is to imagine what would happen if the Wizards suddenly decided to take over the world and enslave the Muggles, maybe because Dark Wizards are in charge of their governments or they all went evil for whatever reason, who knows? I am just trying to imagine the most terrible things that this particular Magic could do.

My ideas are evil, so any Dark Wizard could dream of all of them and maybe even worse...

A magically-enhanced disease would perhaps be the easiest way to attack: In the real world, we could be in trouble even with modern medicine if diseases like a mutant Flu or some other natural virus appears and causes a pandemic... Now what would happen if such a danger was made even more dangerous using dark Magic??

@Steerpike: Excellent idea, but engineering a biological weapon like that would take too long!! The magical plague would be faster =)

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
The idea here is to imagine what would happen if the Wizards suddenly decided to take over the world and enslave the Muggles, maybe because Dark Wizards are in charge of their governments or they all went evil for whatever reason, who knows? I am just trying to imagine the most terrible things that this particular Magic could do

Never really got into the Harry Potter books (dodges assorted objects), but if this is the route you want to go, there is one doable, more or less morally acceptable way to pull it off:

Conquor the world to save the people from themselves. Things get so bad that the wizards, even the 'good' ones, feel they have no choice but to step in and take control to avert total catastrophe. Probably attempt this behind the scenes at first, at least...until they start getting outmanuvered by the 'muggles', and learn that some muggle gadgets are more than a match for their magic...then things get interesting.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Please, my idea is about what would happen in a Magic vs Technology total war in the HP world, with the Wizards trying everything within their powers to defeat the Muggle world.

Queshire

Istar
Oh now if it's everything goes then we muggles are totally willing to go for mutually assured destruction, nukes, anthrax, kill sats, you name it. You wizards got the balls for the same?

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
In that case, a total nuclear strike would ruin the planet and destroy the Wizards too!!

Imperiusing the world leaders as well as congresses and parliaments would give the Wizarding world a total control of the Muggle world, but as I have said before, that would never happen in the HP Universe because the Author does not think that way and the series is already finished.

I sense a little anger here, you guys realize that I am just playing with these ideas, don't you? For me this is fun, material for fanfictions- If you have been offended, I am very sorry =(

I have an idea for a fanfiction about Wizards and Muggles fighting together against alien invaders, destroying starships with a combination of Fiendfyre and Nuclear missiles!! Fighter jets and brooms flying together... I want to call it Alliance Day.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Imperiusing the world leaders as well as congresses and parliaments would give the Wizarding world a total control of the Muggle world, but as I have said before, that would never happen in the HP Universe because the Author does not think that way and the series is already finished.

I think it is all in good fun :D

I don't think taking over the leadership and parliaments would give them control of the entire world. One of the more silly aspects of The Handmaid's Tale was the idea that the country was taken over by machine-gunning the Congress &c. Truth is, there would be a lot of people left to fight. I still think it comes down to a numbers thing. From what we know of the Potter world through the books, the number of wizard types around is tremendously small in comparison to the 7 billion people on the planet. Ultimately, I think they lose

Maybe that will be Rowling's next book :)

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
It would give them control because they would decide all the laws and the actions of every Muggle country in the world: Not a violent take-over to enslave everyone (the people would not even realize what is happening) but the Wizards would be the true rulers acting behind puppet congresses, parliaments, ministers and presidents =)

Mindfire

Istar
It would give them control because they would decide all the laws and the actions of every Muggle country in the world: Not a violent take-over to enslave everyone (the people would not even realize what is happening) but the Wizards would be the true rulers acting behind puppet congresses, parliaments, ministers and presidents =)

What exactly would that accomplish? Unless they do something drastic, like try to push a slavery agenda, I don't see that many people would care because their daily lives would be unaffected. Are the wizards just "taking over" for the sake of an ego trip or "just because they can?" Is there some kind of GOAL here?

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Just because they can sounds good, and the goal would be that the Muggles do not destroy the planet in a nuclear war or try to do any other thing that would somehow affect the interests of the Wizarding World =)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
No, it wouldn't let them enslave everyone, because at some point everyone stops listening to the leaders and/or overthrows them. So they wouldn't have control in any meaningful sense. Not the kind of thing that leads to a war between the two.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
This is a more benevolent scenario, with the Muggles living their everyday lives normally while all government actions are either from the Wizards directly or just Wizard-approved. No destroying the world's food supplies, causing terror or Fiendfyring cities this time, just a peaceful domination over the matters of the Technological world =)

By the way, in the chapter The Other Minister the Muggle Prime Minister is very worried because loads of strange, unexplained things are happening and people are dying mysteriously (a new bridge had snapped cleanly in two, sending twelve cars into the river below) and nobody could discover the reason behind these tragedies...

This Death Eater attacks against Muggle society are mentioned again in the 7th book, and the Muggles were still clueless to find an explanation or stop such things from happening.

shangrila

Inkling
I think the only way that scenario would work is if the world was literally on the brink of nuclear war (think Cold War) and the wizards decided to step in to stop it. Although that would probably just give the normal people a new enemy to unite against, so it could backfire quickly.

Queshire

Istar
A shadowy conspiracy controlling the world goverenments? Yeah, like that's not totally, captital E, Evil.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
@Queshire: So, what is the problem if my ideas for the Wizard strategies are Evil?? Fantasy worlds are full of very evil things, and crimes like murder, torture and rape are very common in Fantasy series sometimes up to the scale of war crimes... Conspiracies are very common too, so I see no problem with suggesting evil stuff that the Wizards could try =)

Maybe I have creeped out some people with my thoughts in this thread, sorry for that... please remember that my own stories are full of evil Mages without a conscience that sometimes do terrible things just because they can.

@Shangrila: That's a good idea for a fanfiction, as well as ThinkerX's idea about the Wizards stepping in for the greater good of the Muggle world =)

Now, I was thinking about the possibility of the Wizard strategies backfiring:

Fiendfyre: According to the 7th book, even someone as stupid as Vincent Crabbe can learn to cast Fiendfyre. Now, actually taking control of the bloody thing is an entirely different story!! Information from the Author of the series about this particular weapon is very limited, but it seems that Crabbe either had no idea how to control Fiendfyre or he just lacked the skills and the talent necessary to do it.

Fiendfyre attacks against Muggle cities could backfire easily if the Wizards who do it are not skilled enough, so it's likely that the Wizards would not attempt this strategy. Even a talented Witch like Hermione said that she would not dare to use it...

Curses to destroy the Crops: It would take a new curse to do this, and from evidence in the books it's clear that experimenting with new spells, charms or curses can sometimes result in fatal accidents and unexpected results. The Wizards would indeed risk to destroy their own food supply, and since they cannot produce food by Magical means, they would be in trouble too.

So far, I see no reason why the attacks against power plants and lines could backfire =)

I have a new idea for the strategies, but I'll share that one later today...

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Let's see, this is my new idea for this Magic vs Non-Magic comparisons: Magical creatures being sent by the Wizards and Witches to fight the war instead of risking themselves!!

Little is known about the Magic of the House-Elves, but maybe Goblins with their special weapons and armour, Centaurs, Giants and Dragons could be the first lines of a possible army of Magical creatures... Now, what would happen after the Giants and Dragons attack the cities and are engaged in battle by Muggle military forces? =)