• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Shine Magical

Hello,

I'm a 23 year old fantasy writer from NYC. I have only realized within the last year that I am good at writing, but I am trying to write my first novel while I'm still young! It is a post-apocalyptic urban fantasy novel.

I had written 40 pages of it, but went to a critique and was told that it was mostly character development and had no plot. And they were right!

So, I am currently in the process of fixing the glaring issues and re-writing a lot from scratch, which is a little demotivating. :sleep:

How is your writing coming along?

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Hello and welcome to Mythic Scribes David.

I'm currently about halfway through my first novel and I'm feeling like it's coming along fine. It's a contemporary fantasy story set in an alternate world and I'm having a load of fun with it. I've worked on it for a little less than a year. I've already decided that once I'm done with the first draft I'll be going back to the beginning and rewriting the first two chapters and most of the third. I've come a long way since I started the story and I've learned and improved significantly since then. Most of that is thanks to hanging around here and soaking up the tips and advice that's flying around the place.

It's not always easy. Hearing you've got major issues in a piece you're proud to have written is no fun - as you've noticed. Take heart though. Once you know there are issues you can do something about them. You can learn and understand and improve and all of a sudden you're at the next level and you're making mistakes you didn't even have a clue could be made in the first place. :p

It's all about learning and about wanting to learn. For that, you've come to a good place.

Very welcome.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met david.
This is a good place to learn and share.
The more you learn, the more you find there is to learn. :p
And the more you can share with others.
Leap on in when you have half a mind...
[I'm stuck in plotting hell and will start to cry if I think about it too much - just leap in and try to swim I guess]

Last edited by a moderator: