• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Skipping Scenes

Zadocfish

Troubadour
I think I'm at an impasse on my little novel, and I think it's a reason more seasoned writers would be familiar with. Put simply, the next scene is one I really, really don't want to write.

To explain in more detail, my main characters have just been thrown into a ravine. My plan for what comes next is for the two to notice that their way of transporting home is gone, then try to walk out of the dangerous wilderness they've been thrown in to. A monster attacks them and traps them, then the focal character runs out to catch its attention, and gets caught. He wakes up after having been spit out by the monster, and finds that his companion had considered him dead and left on her own. Then, he trudges on his own into the next scene.

Now, this is a big character moment for the focal character. He gets to show that he's developed bravery and self-sacrifice. It also makes a great way to split the characters up so I can get to the further scenes, which I am really looking forward to because I'm introducing a character I really like.

The problem: I REALLY, REALLY don't want to write this scene. It seems like it will be a huge pain, I'm not sure I can portray the emotions well enough in such a tense situation, I don't want to bother with the monster... this scene is one of the reasons I haven't written anything since my NaNo attempt allowed me to write half the book. I'm now considering editing the scenario to make it easier to move on to the fun scenes... the new scenario isn't quite as good, though.

But the scene as I've set it up seems so important to the overall plot and character arcs... I'd imagine that a lot of the writers here have been in similar situations. How did you handle it? Any advice for those struggling with aversion to their own next steps?

Drakevarg

Troubadour
Hm... well, the scene is obviously important to your character's development, so it doesn't seem like it should be thrown out. Though just how crucial is the monster to the scene? If it's that much of a pain could it be replaced with a different threat, like falling rocks or something similar? Still gives the focal character an opportunity to be brave and self-sacrificing (shoves someone out of the way and is seemingly crushed for their troubles), while also giving an opportunity to split the party as he eventually regains consciousness on the other side of the rubble.

Zadocfish

Troubadour
Hm... Unfortunately, the focal character is roughly 8 inches tall. There aren't many non-monster threats he could be of any believable help with. The monster is less of a problem than the emotional parts, though. I don't mind too much bringing the Allosmore'us to life, it's the characters dealing with it that I don't want to do.

Drakevarg

Troubadour
Unfortunately the nature of character focus is that sometimes you gotta make them emote. I personally find RP is the best way to practice this. Character-driven RP, mind you. More traditional adventure RPs tend to sideline character development for punching monsters and grabbing shiny pants. Try running a private game with one or two friends, something where you can keep the focus entirely on who the person you're playing is and what's running through their head at any given moment.

Velka

Sage
It's your first draft, so there's no reason the scene needs to be all polished up with a bow on it. I have written several first draft scenes that somewhat resemble:

Setting: Ravine of dark forest, evening

Character Q is shaken, has a minor head injury (looks worse than it is, lots of blood). Character W has kinked his neck from the fall, can't turn his head left

Q: Looks around for magical portal toaster "Oh no! It's gone! How will we get home?"

W: Panicking on the inside but refusing to let it show "It has to be here somewhere, let's look around"

They look around, but can't find magical portal toaster. Q is visibly upset, but still holding it together, lots of false reassuring statements. W is being more realistic internally, realizing the toaster is gone, but agrees with Q to help reassure her.

W: Hears twigs snap to the right "What's that sound?"

Q: Looks around, her eyes widen, "RUN!"

Monster emerges and chases them.....

Is this anything that you would ever show anyone? No, but it is the bones of your scene with character state of mind/emotion, simplified dialogue, sequence of events, etc. In my opinion, this is an acceptable first draft of a scene that is causing a huge blockage in your writer pipes. Don't worry about finding the perfect way to portray all the intensity this scene needs right now, it's a first draft!

You will certainly have to come back with a first aid kit to get it resembling something other than an animated skeleton, but right now, getting to the end is what really matters. It sounds like the rest of the story excites you, and that this is the only scenario you have right now that best moves you between the previous scene and the next.

Besides, once you sit down with your completed first draft it's very likely you will have to rewrite, restructure, scrap, and invent anew a bunch of scenes in your story, so don't spend all this time and energy stressing yourself into a ball of non-productivity over not being able to get it right the first time.

Another thing to consider is, sometimes when you dread writing a scene it's because your subconscious knows that it really isn't the best way to get what you want done. Maybe there doesn't have to be a monster, or maybe they get separated because they fight over who's fault it is the magical portal toaster is broken. I know I've struggled with scenes, only to realize in hindsight, it was mostly because I knew deep down that it was a crap premise. Not saying that is the case here, but just something else to consider.

Butterfly

Auror
There's no reason why you can't skip it, write the rest of the book and come back to it later. You don't have to write chronologically, after all.

I would suggest using a few bullet points and making notes so you don't forget what you want in the scene. Make sure you have the main events of the scene written down and move on. Add the chapter to your list of revisions you need to do for your second draft. (I keep a spread sheet for things like this so I don't miss them on the second pass).

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Sometimes writing past where you're at is better anyhow. Heck, write the ending, write whatever. I've come around to writing large sections from one POV, not necessarily in chrono order for the character, let alone the whole book, and then flipping to another POV. It can be quite useful, really.