• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Some thoughts on my goals for my novel

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Elements/Genres (not sure of the correct word) that I want to include in my novel:

Sometimes, it helps me to verbalize the goals for my book (and, for those nitpickers out there who say “you’re writing this, not verbalizing it,” I promise to read it aloud at some point!). In my ongoing attempt to clarify my thinking, I compiled the following list of what I think my novel should include. I’m posting it in the hopes it may spark discussion or possibly help someone else formulate their ideas.

1. Fantasy — A fantasy story has to have - wait for it — fantasy! But what makes a story fantasy? Trying to boil it down to its most essential element, it seems to me that fantasy means using fantasy creatures and/or magic. Frankly, I’m not much of a fantasy creature guy, but I do love magic.

To me, magic adds exceptionalism, and I want to read about exceptional characters. In fact, I prefer my characters to have powers above and beyond anyone else, so I don’t want them to be one among a class of mages. I think of them almost as superheroes, with magic being their superpower, and, if everyone is special, than no one really is.

2. Action/Adventure — The characters have to have their lives physically put in mortal danger on a regular basis. That’s a necessary given for my world.

More than just the inclusion of heart racing scenes of dire peril, however, I think A/A informs the character choice. The characters need to be larger than life. If they’re smart, they’re super-smart. If they’re strong, they’re super-strong. If they’re… Well, I think you get the point. I have to be careful not to make the story too cartoonish, but I don’t want to read about ordinary people doing ordinary things.

3. Romance — The search for love, sex, and companionship forms much of the human experience. These motivations make the characters relatable. Besides, I’ll admit it: I like a good romantic story (I actually like reading Twilight).

4. Political Thriller — If you’re writing epic fantasy, it needs to be epic. You can’t focus only on your character’s journey. His actions need to impact the entire world. Showing the political structure and involving him in the “game of thrones” adds crucial conflicts and depth.

5. Coming of Age — This is purely personal preference. I tend to like the ‘kid who grows up in the boonies gains great power and saves the world while learning what it takes to be a man’ storyline.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I think all of those elements make for great stories. I disagree about fantasy having to include magic or fantasy creatures. To me, it simply has to take place in an imagined world. If it supposedly takes place in the real world, then you need some element of magic or "otherness" to make it fantasy, but if the world is entirely created I don't think you need any of that. For example, Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast has nary a magical/mythical creature or magic.

I think each of the other elements are great. You don't need them all, but if you can work them all in it could make for a very nice story.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I think all of those elements make for great stories. I disagree about fantasy having to include magic or fantasy creatures. To me, it simply has to take place in an imagined world. If it supposedly takes place in the real world, then you need some element of magic or "otherness" to make it fantasy, but if the world is entirely created I don't think you need any of that. For example, Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast has nary a magical/mythical creature or magic.

I think each of the other elements are great. You don't need them all, but if you can work them all in it could make for a very nice story.

If it's an imagined world with aliens and technology, it's not fantasy even though it's an entirely made up world, so that doesn't seem to made a good definition. The setting doesn't make it fantasy either, as you can have fantasy take place in today's world, and you can have an adventure set in medieval times that I wouldn't consider fantasy.

It's hard to define exactly what fantasy is and that could be debated forever without coming to a conclusion. I think my definition probably accounts for about 99% of what is classified as being in the genre.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
If it's an imagined world with aliens and technology, it's not fantasy even though it's an entirely made up world, so that doesn't seem to made a good definition.

Could be, if it is Star Wars :)

I think your definition covers the vast majority of it. I haven't heard a good definition that covers everything I've seen in the genre without applying to fiction generally.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Seems to me what your defining is 'Heroic Fantasy' (an actual catagory for publishers these days - at least according to 'Duotrope'.)

However, you got such a strong emphasis on the 'Heroic' part (truly exceptional characters with truly astounding abilities) it is almost like 'superhero' fiction, except set in a fantasy world rather than the present age. Which brings me to...

...modernisms (for want of a better word), You are writing fantasy - heroic fantasy - but from the start I've noticed you keep including terms and concepts vastly more suited for an advanced technological society. At times I've wondered if this is a technical education showing through, or if, perhaps, you really are not that comfortable with an actual fantasy setting as you've outlined.

I must emphasize, these are just my observations, not an attempt at insult.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Seems to me what your defining is 'Heroic Fantasy' (an actual catagory for publishers these days - at least according to 'Duotrope'.)

However, you got such a strong emphasis on the 'Heroic' part (truly exceptional characters with truly astounding abilities) it is almost like 'superhero' fiction, except set in a fantasy world rather than the present age. Which brings me to...

...modernisms (for want of a better word), You are writing fantasy - heroic fantasy - but from the start I've noticed you keep including terms and concepts vastly more suited for an advanced technological society. At times I've wondered if this is a technical education showing through, or if, perhaps, you really are not that comfortable with an actual fantasy setting as you've outlined.

I must emphasize, these are just my observations, not an attempt at insult.

I definitely have "a technical education" as I'm a professional engineer (mechanical).

When it comes down to it, I'm writing what I want to read. I'm hoping it comes across as something others like as well. We'll see when I finish it and get it out there.

Of course, part of the technological part was the decision to base the magic system on energy. Once I did that, it necessarily made the society more sophisticated from a technology standpoint than the traditional fantasy setting. Only the power struggle being won by the nobles over the mages has kept the society from progressing much further from that standpoint.

Regarding the superhero fiction: exactly what I'm going for, to an extent.

I grew up reading scifi adventure with these kind of characters, and that's who I want to have inhabit my fantasy world.

Jabrosky

Banned
Here's a few elements I would strive to include in my own debut novel:

* Dinosaurs
* African-flavored civilizations (think Nubia, Mali, or Great Zimbabwe)
* Lots of action/adventure, especially epic fight scenes
* No magic or other supernatural elements; more or less realistic physics
* White male/black female romance

It's a fairly short list, but I have found that devising long lists can constrict your creativity, so I simply wrote down my bare essentials.