• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

STAY AWAY FROM WRITERS REPUBLIC! TOTAL SCAM VANITY PRESS

Leonard LeBlanc

May 09, 2022
WRITERS REPUBLIC (WR) has called me twice so far. They promised me my refund but gave me no time limit on doing so.

I asked them to give me all the audited sales reports, but they didn't say anything about doing so. They never denied they were in the Philippines. I asked them for a detailed breakout of where all my money went, and they didn't say anything.

April 07, 2022
In April 2021, I signed up with Writers Republic to print and market my book. I paid USD$3600 to start, an additional USD$4000 for a Hollywood Treatment, and USD$2400 for a National Radio Interview with Kate Delany.

They said they would put my book in the big book chains in the US and internationally, talk to Hollywood about a movie/TV deal and try to get a big book publisher to take over my book under their label and I would get 80% of the profits. They produced a few books, which went up on Amazon for sale. That was it. Come to find out, they are not even in the USA nor the Philippines.

It was all lies, a 100% scam, a bogus rip-off. I asked them for an accounting - nothing. I said when is the book going into the book stores I paid you to do - never went. Hollywood?

These people couldn't find it on a map. My national radio interview was at 11:00 PM in Tucson on Christmas Eve, which no one had heard. Profits?

Maybe I got 10% from Amazon, and the checks stopped after 90 days. 100% fake company.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Away, Staying. Thanks for this.

I think if you had had the benefit of a place like MythicScribes prior, we might have been able to steer you away from this.

Getting scammed sucks. Sorry it happened to you.
In April 2021, I signed up with Writers Republic to print and market my book. I paid USD$3600 to start, an additional USD$4000 for a Hollywood Treatment, and USD$2400 for a National Radio Interview with Kate Delany.

They said they would put my book in the big book chains in the US and internationally, talk to Hollywood about a movie/TV deal and try to get a big book publisher to take over my book under their label and I would get 80% of the profits. They produced a few books, which went up on Amazon for sale. That was it. Come to find out, they are not even in the USA nor the Philippines.
There are a few red flags in here for anyone reading. A promis to get into a big book chain is not something a small publisher can make. One of the big ones probably could. But for the small ones they can only try.

Same with the Hollywood deal. They might very well have talked to someone. But the chance of that ever going anywhere is very, very small (and thus not worth paying for). Just look at how much trouble big names in fantasy have to get Hollywood adaptations made of their stuff. Why go for yours when they could be going after Brandon Sanderson?

As for a radio interview. From what I've heard that almost never results in sales. So again, there's no point in paying for it, unless it is part of a very specific marketing campaign.

Getting 80% of profits is another warning sign. Simple reason is that "profit" is very vague. It's what's left over after everything has been paid for. The novel could have sold millions of copies and still not made any profit. Simply pay a lot for other stuff like saleries or marketing, and you'll never make a profit.

Reactions: Ban