1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Teenage Books

Discussion in 'Novels & Stories' started by Alex97, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Alex97

Alex97 Troubadour

Being 15 just wondred what people thaught about books aimed at teenagers. I pretty much skipped the teenage section and went straight into adult books once I had gone past children's books. This is mainly because the vast majority of teenage books I have read are increadibly patronising or cliche.

Take the Alex Rider series for example, I read a few and they weren't that badly written but the whole idea of a teenage spy was way too cliche for me. There's quite a few books for teenagers which are in the fantasy or military genre which have battle in them but are too afraid of actualy talking about the violance which I find kind of pointless since the books are about wars.

What I absoloutely can't stand though, is overpowered 12-16 year olds whoa are really good at fighting and somehow beat a professional adult warrior. There are a few exceptions such as feasting the wolf.

So what are your oppinions on teenage novels?

2. Mindfire

Mindfire Istar

I take it you've never read Percy Jackson, Heroes of Olympus, the Kane Chronicles, or the Codex Alera books? Read them. They might change your mind.

3. Alex97

Alex97 Troubadour

I've read a bit of Percy Jackson and saw the film. I'm enjoying the Icemark chronicles at the moment. I'm not saying they're all bad but I still prefer adult books anyway

4. SlimShady

SlimShady Troubadour

Can't stand them. Being a teen myself I find most of them downright insulting to my intelligence. Although, I prefer more darker and adult themes, so it may just be to my taste. However, I did really enjoy Harry Potter and I read some of the Inheritance Cycle. (Didn't quite enjoy the Inheritance Cycle.)

All in all it's down to your own taste.

5. charleshudgen

charleshudgen Dreamer

I recommend the books of Lauren Kate's Fallen Series. Her books are really inspiring especially to those teens who loves to read. You should start reading with this kind of books. I am sure you will like it.

6. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

There are some very good books directed at that age group. I don't really care about the target age group, so long as the books are good. I like Philip Pullman, and more recently Kristin Cashore.

7. ALB2012

ALB2012 Maester

Terry Pratchett? Some of those are for a slightly younger audience but even the "adult" books would be fine. They are a lot of fun.

Hmm Chronicles of Narnia might be a bit young. I was reading adult books at 12 pretty much. Lets see we are going back a LONG way here - Horror- the Dark behind the Curtain- which scared me witless when I was younger, Dracula/Frankenstein/Jekyll and Hyde.
    Narnia, (might be a bit young).

There are of course LOTR and Hobbit. Stardust, Neil Gaiman other than that YA fantasy is not my genre. My friend is writing an excellent series which I will recommend if and when she gets it in a state to be seen.

8. Ghost

Ghost Inkling

I have a few teenage books, so I've learned something over the years: try to get the good books in hardcover. A lot of paperbacks don't hold up after 15 years.

Oh, I skipped the YA books when I was 11 and didn't start reading them until about 17 or so. Plenty of young readers read the next age range up or skip to adult books. I remember reading Goosebumps at 9-years-old and being proud that I was just as mature as the 12-year-olds in the books. :rolleyes:

I agree with Steerpike that target demographic doesn't matter if it's a good book.