• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Tell me something you're trying to cut back on~

I'm not talking explicitly in terms of subject or plot devices (although those count too) I mean in terms of writing 'ticks' that you may or may not have. I've been writing a long time (since early middle school) and lately I noticed why my chapters seem to just take forever to 'end' end.

My characters are too damn chatty. Even the ones who are intended to be the 'quiet' one of the group (for example, Link, if I'm writing a Zelda story) will chime in with something witty or something. On one hand, I like it, cause I'm a character interaction guy over anything else. But Good character interaction only comes in moderation. I'm starting to (attempt) cut back on more or less 'full' scenes that would lengthen the size of a chapter by a good third of the word count. I plan to keep the ones that are relevant, or the ones that forward the plot. But it's about time I start recognizing the 'extra' ones that add 'nothing' and either repurpose them somehow (maybe use them later) heck some scenes actually came out better as just narration about what happened.

Like I said, I like the fact that even my characters who are intended to hate eachother find some way to get along (eventually) but it makes it hard to write actually evil characters who aren't campy/silly. I guess that's why I prefer to write comedy, but keep the story serious when the stakes warrent it.

BJ Swabb

Sage
For me I guess my issue would be details. I place lots of details into my characters and creatures. Though I don't think it is a bad thing to describe your characters in full detail, it is much for a reader to read descriptions of a new arrival into the book as there is always someone new coming in. What I need to do is cut back on the less important characters with their descriptions. It is hard cause in my mind a full detail description is there and I am always thinking that the reader needs to know what the character looks like fully to understand my characters. Unfortunately not always is it that the looks of a character makes them who they are, but what the actions, emotions and abilities they have are just as important.

For me I guess my issue would be details. I place lots of details into my characters and creatures. Though I don't think it is a bad thing to describe your characters in full detail, it is much for a reader to read descriptions of a new arrival into the book as there is always someone new coming in. What I need to do is cut back on the less important characters with their descriptions. It is hard cause in my mind a full detail description is there and I am always thinking that the reader needs to know what the character looks like fully to understand my characters. Unfortunately not always is it that the looks of a character makes them who they are, but what the actions, emotions and abilities they have are just as important.
I have a hard time describing my characters honestly (It's honestly silly how many of them have the same/similar body types) especially when it's the character themselves evaluating the way they look. It's not so much that they're overly detailed/complicated. I typically wind up describing and comparing the same four or five traits, sometimes in the same order. That's a habit I really need to kill cause not every character is going to take note of mis female lead's flaming red hair right off that bat. I'm especially guilty of mentioning eye colors like they're relevant to the plot. lol

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Other than Caffeine and sugary drinks (which I have pretty much given up at this point)....

I find start a lot of scenes with the phrase--Bob stood at, or Bot was sitting... I am actively avoiding starting with placing the character in a spot and posture now.

I am sure I have characters that have never been described, but all the major ones certainly. Some of them get described once, and not much else after. Even when I do, a few features stand out and those tend to be the ones I will revisit.

I do have patterns in what I write. I do not think they show for others as they show for me. If I start getting feedback on them, I will look to change the pattern.

Using the word ‘said’, actively trying to avoid this word and getting more creative with dialogue, which I find the hardest to weave in throughout the writing.

There have been numerous articles about the value of "said", most of which tell you that readers are so used to it they don't notice it. Which is what you want really - don't ever want to shock readers out of the flow. Said is cool.

I suppose it’s more of an exercise to move out of relying on the word ‘said’ and being more creative with how I write dialogue, rather than leaving it out completely there are of course instances where I’ve used it, but I want to avoid the text sounding like ‘she said’ and ‘he said’ every other sentence because then I bore the socks off myself while writing!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Yeah…. I think said is not really a bad habbit. Too many fancy attributions is. Its important to break it up at times but they start to be like adverbs if it happens every time.

There does seem to be a trend to never use an attributive, in which case, there is little need for said.

Yeah…. I think said is not really a bad habbit. Too many fancy attributions is. Its important to break it up at times but they start to be like adverbs if it happens every time.

There does seem to be a trend to never use an attributive, in which case, there is little need for said.
Isn't the general gist of said that it's only bad if you use it for literally every instance? And other than that it's fine? I try not to use the average said too much, but then I run into the opposite problem of using descriptors like 'chimed' etc

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I'd say, when in doubt, just use said. Use other attributions reservedly. Just using said should be the default.

But, you know...its an art and not a science. You have to go with what you think makes it more perfect, and then prune it with feedback ;)

JBCrowson

Troubadour
Things I want to give up:
Procrastination
Being surprised when my football team score only 1 in 10 of their chances
Having too much plot armour on my favourite (non principle) characters.

I find myself using said a lot. I'll try and balance it with about 1 in 10 of something different. If just two people are talking I'll leave out most attributions unless I want to add extra detail like a non verbal communication a character habitually uses.

I'd add that if your characters are well enough drawn, it should be obvious who is speaking, so that reduces attributions considerably.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Alas, with each new novel I seem to develop new tics (which leaving behind others). So it's a new challenge every time. Which does keep my editorial chops sharpened.

I would confess to procrastination, but analyzing it feels like procrastination, so I claim innocence. <g>

BearBear

Archmage
"Okay so..."

I also decide I want an ending 200,000 words in and end up with a sequel, then it becomes a trilogy.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Procrastination. Been through a bit of a slump again, but I wrote some satiating salivating scrumptious not entirely food-related sentences today, so I'm glad I am making progress there.