• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Bechdel Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Do you really think that women in our society (talkin' U.S.A. here) aren't oppressed at all? That there is no pervasive social bias against them? (Note that pervasiveness and severity are orthogonal.) They aren't after just "feeling better." They want to stop being oppressed. They want to be able to feel like they can walk down the street at night without undue fear of being assaulted. They want to be given the same consideration in professional contexts that men are. Feminism, as it's been said, is simply the radical notion that women are people and, by extension, deserve to be treated well.

As a white man myself, I completely understand the feeling that it seems like a lot of groups want special treatment. The thing is, they want that special treatment because of decades of abuse. They're not just making it up for fun.

If the pendulum swinging one way is bad, I feel that the desire to keep it swinging the opposite direction is just as bad.

Mindfire

Istar
Maybe they have, but I feel like you might have overcorrected in your response; you keep coming off as "I don't care about this particular issue and I don't have to." I'm pretty sure that's not how you actually feel, but that's what it sounds like to me. :)

Today's Sinfest is especially apropos of this thread: Sinfest

I don't get the joke.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I simply don't see a difference between that request and the request that is being made on this thread. Both are asking me to change a character based solely on that person's race, religion, gender, or physical characteristics. In my worldview, if the hypothetical request made in the fictitious email is wrong, so is the request for "positive" changes.

Does that make a little more sense?

Yes. I guess what I'm seeing in the thread is a request for writers to think about these things. Not someone saying "you have to change this specific character right here to one I want to see." I don't have a problem with people asking to be better represented in writing, movies, and so on. I think there are a lot of good reasons they should be. But I'm not going to support a law that mandates it or anything. People will still be able to write what they want. Merely being criticized by one group or another doesn't take away the author's right to write their own story in the way they see fit.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I've completely missed whatever it is that's going on in this 27 page thread, but I think you've got to put the storytelling above the outside pressures and one's predispositions in order to write the characters that help to enhance the story. It doesn't make sense to include token out-of-place minorities in some settings. It doesn't make sense to exclude the wide-scale diversity you would see in many other settings.

It also doesn't make sense to tell other people to take stories you know nothing about in specific directions, or to try and negatively classify someone else's mentality.

We're not here to be activists. We're here to tell stories. Let's focus on that.

One thing I will say, though, to try and add to the conversation, is that sometimes I find in the stories I'm reading that too often, when you include some of these characters, they can kind of be story-stealers. As someone told me once, there's no mention of camels in the 1,001 Arabian Nights because it's so heavily ingrained into their culture that camels are boring to them. But when westerners write a similar story, they detail every camel down to the saddle bags. I feel like something similar happens when non-minorities write about minorities. I'm not referring to stereotyping. I mean that the minority aspects become weighty talking points and subplot tumors that can sometimes end up being a detraction from the story as a whole. Just something to consider.

Lastly, to anyone who thinks there should be more minority heroes in our great fantasy stories, it seems to me that the only thing to really do about it is to go out and write one. You're not going to get an authentic character by pressuring someone else to do it if they don't want to.

((wow, that got ninja'ed by like 16 posts))

A) No one is. This is a much great issue than gender discrimination.

I'm having trouble parsing this. No one is *what?*

B) In my life, I haven't seen evidence of this. I worked at a call center, retail outlet, and now, run a business. My staff is made up of 70% women and 30% males.

Are you seriously saying that because you haven't experienced this, it can't possibly be true? Seriously? So all the women who do talk about how they feel disregarded and disrespected solely because of their gender are, what... Delusional? Lying? Whiners? Isn't it possible that maybe (at least some of them) are telling the truth about their experiences? Isn't it possible that you have blinders on, because you're not part of that group?

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Here's the thing, though: you are affected by the problem. If you were to make your work--that tiny little sliver of the fantasy genre as a whole--more welcoming to people who are overwhelmingly marginalized, more readily able to be accepted as the pure entertainment you want it to be, your readership could expand dramatically. That's money in your pocket, to put it callously.

And I've said many times that I do not tailor my works to try to please any one audience. In the long run, I believe that being true to the stories I want to tell will lead to much more success than trying to please anyone.

I don't see this as an argument for the legitimacy of your cause.

Another rational argument I've been meaning to throw in here, but haven't found the opportune moment, is challenging yourself as a writer. That happens when you get out of your comfort zone and write things you normally wouldn't (hypothetical "you" once again).

Again, what does this have to do with the legitimacy of your cause?

That is a very twisted, dismissive, and overly personal interpretation. I wouldn't be here, writing a fantasy novel and discussing fantasy novels, if I had a victim mentality and felt personally mistreated by the genre. I am still capable of recognizing that something in this genre I love is broken, and that it will take a lot of people to fix it. It's not about making me feel better. It's about making fantasy broader and richer.

Another point on which we're never going to agree...

I don't get the joke.

The joke is that from the POV of where women are now, "utopia" is simply being able to go walk down the street alone at night without undue fear of being harassed or assaulted. As a man, I can go do that without undue fear. Women, for the most part, can't. I walk three blocks to the gym around 10pm some nights, and I'm never concerned about being attacked. I know it's possible it might happen anyway, but I also know it's very unlikely, so it doesn't bother me any more than any other unlikely danger.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Yes. I guess what I'm seeing in the thread is a request for writers to think about these things. Not someone saying "you have to change this specific character right here to one I want to see." I don't have a problem with people asking to be better represented in writing, movies, and so on. I think there are a lot of good reasons they should be. But I'm not going to support a law that mandates it or anything. People will still be able to write what they want. Merely being criticized by one group or another doesn't take away the author's right to write their own story in the way they see fit.

I've said multiple times that I do feel that certain members are advocating a call to action that goes beyond "think about your writing."

Maybe I'm reading stuff into it, but I've prefaced most of my arguments with the caveat that it's the judgment that action is mandated that I'm most against.

If I look at my writing and think, "I feel comfortable with how I've portrayed the characters," I don't feel that this test has a whole lot of value.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I think this thread is getting too heavily away from storytelling into gender politics. I'm going to lock this thread to consult with other moderators.

Please be patient. Regardless, take a breather, everybody.

It's more like the assumption that this particular issue is so much more important than any other issue bothers me.

I don't think anyone in this thread has said that gender equality is the most important issue in the world. Maybe they have; if you can quote one person saying it, that would be helpful. Otherwise, this is a straw man.

Status
Not open for further replies.