• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The "Daily" Worldbuilding Prompt

ScaryMJDiamcreep

Troubadour
Thinking way back to question 2, I've thought a bit on how a Duongel watches their own back to prevent themself from being pickpocketed.

All Duongels have one body which they default to using when interacting with someone, much like how humans can be left or right handed(Duongels are always ambidextrous), and that body will be the one that they keep their money and other valuables on. The other body will walk behind the first, partly to keep an eye on it and partly because Duongels can take up a very large space if they walk side by side.

TheKillerBs

Maester
In places frequented by Duongels, there are clothing stores specifically for Duongels(kinda necessary because of their wings), which always have matching sets of clothes in opposite colours. They have a special rack specifically for clothes where the other half of the pair was bought by a human, which is labelled, in the Duongel's language, "A**hole rack", but this rack tends to be empty during winter(especially during a cold year), because humans are rarely stupid enough to buy shirts with two massive holes in them during the coldest part of the year. The stuff on there is usually pretty discounted, both to try and attract humans away from the other racks, and because it is literally like buying only one half of a two-person costume. Sometimes a human might buy the half of a pair that someone had already caused a different instance of that pair to be on the human rack(say there was a pair of a black and a white shirt, and there was a black shirt on the human rack, and for some reason a human bought a full price black shirt instead of the discount one), then the one on the human rack would get paired up with the newly abandoned item of clothing, and put on the normal racks, rather than the abandoned clothing going on the human rack. The human rack is also positioned right in front of the entrance, as to discourage humans from looking at the normal racks.
Why don't they just sell the Duongel clothes as a paired set then?

ScaryMJDiamcreep

Troubadour
They don't particularly want to exclude humans from being able to buy their clothes, as some humans see the way the back of Duongel shirts look as pretty. It's like how human dresses sometimes have no back.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I really need to catch up on my own prompts... :p Anyways, here's number 19.

Question 19: Can you tell me about your world's seven (or whatever number) wonders?

Question 19: Can you tell me about your world's seven (or whatever number) wonders?

The Astral Abyss [Dream's domain] and by default Dream's House is a wonder in of itself, and probably the most mysterious. No one really knows what it's like there, and so books upon books and theories upon theories have been made.

WooHooMan

Auror

The Eight Mountains are specifically meant to be the (conveniently numbered) geographic, historical and cultural hubs of my setting. They are as followed:
1. Mount Axis, largest mountain in the world. Twice as tall as Mount Everest and as wide as France.
2. Mount Pale-Landing, where the prehistoric ancestors of the Goblins are said to have landed their 'space craft' (for lack of a better term). Also near the Grand Altar of Gob-Madarus which is an important holy site (arguably the most important).
3. Mount Rauskin, where the first wizards practiced magic. The mythical Tu-Shali School of Magic is said to be located here. Also houses the ruins of the Second Temple of the Gods.
4. Mount Budic, the "Mountain of Enlightened Sages", home of the famous Western Turtle School of Magic. There's a cliff that people would make wishes at and then jump off.
5. Mount Noic, a series of close mesas and plateaus created by a wizard during a duel. Cannibal bird people are said to live here. Where the gods crowned the first Levinusian emperor (if you believe that).
6. Mount Albion, where Albion the Demigod was said to be killed. Also houses the Olympus Mausoleum, a popular pilgrimage site.
7. Mount Kelpa, which houses the Fountain of Creation, which is super holy and magical. The wildlife here is also said to be really interesting. Especially the God-Lions. Near the ruins of the Third Palace of the Gods.
8. Mount Agron, not an important mountain itself but a lot of early, historic churches are built around here. A popular pilgrimage site.

Natural Wonders:

1. The Evergreen Tundra: Which is both a pilgrimage site and what was left of the Liches many ziggurats from the Lich Wars after Adriel finished with them. Flattening them and turning it into a vast, never fading tundra of green in the far north.
2. The World Tree's: Counting as two, that I know of so far, the Sun Oak world tree in the center of the Fea Forest and capitol of the wood elf realm and the Ironwood World tree growing out of a mountain in the orc lands that used to be one of their fortresses. May be a third in the jungles of the Southern Reaches.
3. The Mouth: Not exactly a place one wants to visit. A series of mountains that form with a constant background storm and cloud system that give it the look of an open and fanged mouth, the exact species they say it is from varies. It is a mouth none the less and rumor among the world is that even demons fear to tread there. The demons have thus far not refuted it and it is known to let loose powerful creatures and monsters now and again.
4. The Hidden Valley: The goblins well protected sanctuary land deep within the Dragon Spine Mountain range. It is a place of massive amounts of greenery and farmland and fairly peaceful, even though it is also the place with the most goblin forges within the mountains and farmland that typically arm the Greenkin for war.

Mortal Made Wonders:

1. Paradise City: Created by the drow in a massive underground cavern, this is a tropical paradise where no tropical paradise should be.
2. Zukal Magical Academy Tower: This human made structure stands tall over the city of Zukal and can be seen many miles away across the savannah and it opens up it's top like flower petals to take in the sun and help power it.
3. Steel Ring Islands: Once drow territory, taken over by dwarves and then humans, the islands have been turned into a massive stone and metal fortress where humans and delver hold Academic Battles to determine who has the better technology and magic. Stopped as of the Lich Wars and the drow have taken it over again.
4. The Skull Temple: Though fairly lost, this temple of skulls was no ordinary temple of skulls. It was made of the skulls of giants who came to preach and be missionaries to the wood elves. The elves figured if they wanted to be a church, they could literally be one. Just to the Alfhian, not to the Elder.
5. The Trade Roads: Roads may not seem like a great wonder, but when they are underground and stretch go to all four continents, they probably count. Made by dwarves and drow alike.

Supernatural Wonders:

1. The Sylvan Gates: These naturally grown gates connect various points in the world via the Sylvan Plane, which is almost another world in of itself. Since the Lich Wars they have been closed or completely taken away, though they are awakening again.
2. Good Intentions: The road through the hells of Eld which runs much straighter then the Gates and at times a quicker way to get to destinations. Pending you have the right gear.

ScaryMJDiamcreep

Troubadour
The palaces of the deities would be the first call to mind when thinking of buildings as wonders.

As for natural wonders, there's these(and probably I will think of more at a later date):
  • Inespell's orginal palace is now ruins(the amount of residual chaos from before it was destroyed means that adventurers aren't yet willing to try and raid it), but Inespell's Rage ticks all the boxes for it to be a palace(people go there to worship, the deity has a slight effect on the surroundings, the deity effectively lives there).
  • The tallest mountain on the continent is called the Stalagmite of the Sky, due to the fact that at its peak, it becomes flat, with a large spike in the middle that resembles a stalagmite. It's thought that the palace of Cielhim, the deity of the sky, is positioned above the Stalagmite, and that the Stalagmite is formed from the blood of those who perish while at Cielhim's palace(mostly enemies who could fly).
  • About 3 miles east of the Duongel's city, there is a large whirlpool that the Duongels call the Ocean's Maw. The presence of the Maw is a large part of why most races from the eastern side of the continent do not consider sailing as a viable method of travel. It's believed that Temari, the deity of storms and the East Ocean, has their palace at the bottom of the Maw.
  • The Eternal Inferno is an inextinguishable fire the size of a hill, which is the location for the palace of Pyrig, the deity of fire. It is also thought that the Eternal Inferno is positioned above the palace of Gehneth, deity of the underworld, as to try and prevent demons and malevolent souls from escaping the underworld(not 100% effective).

Last edited:

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Question 20: What's the closest your world has been to wholesale destruction?

That's a tricky question to answer, because I haven't quite figured out how far I'd go [if at all] into destroying parts or all of my omniverse, nor come to turns with what all that would mean, implications and all that. I might get back to you...or maybe not.

ScaryMJDiamcreep

Troubadour
Ah, in that case, that would be when Inespell got super powerful and tried to kill the other deities. Inespell and Hosper Paxet are the closest my world has ever come to having an omnipotent being.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
In my world, it would have to be the Pakistani nanoplague of 2059. It was the first of its kind and ravaged large parts of Pakistan, Iran, Afghanistan and the Northern Indian states. Although it was deactivated within weeks, it could have gobbled up the globe.

Pfft, easy. The Lich Wars, the apocalypse of apocalypses on Eld. Nearly wiped out the world (or at least covered it in undead, then killed the world) and went on to become pretty much the focal point of how things in the world should not be done. There's also the attack by the moon, but that wasn't quite as apocalyptic and was solved far easier.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Oh, there once was a hero named Ragnar the Red
Who came riding to Whiterun from old Rorikstead
And the Braggart did swagger and brandish his blade
As he told of bold battles and gold he had made

Question 21: Can you give the lyrics for a song from your world?
(Alternative if you have no lyrics written: Can you tell me about the meaning of one of your world's songs?)

Question 21: Can you give the lyrics for a song from your world?
(Alternative if you have no lyrics written: Can you tell me about the meaning of one of your world's songs?)

The song's a bit too long to post here, but it basically tells of the creation of the OmniCosmos, like one of those epic songs of days gone by.

Saigonnus

Auror

Pretty close. A thousand years ago, a meteorite streaked out of the heavens and all but destroyed the continent of Aerisa, converting it to the shattered lands. At that time, it was lightly inhabited, and it is thought that everyone was slain, because most of the islands that were left after the impact were completely submerged for several days. (The truth: It was completely depopulated of fauna and humanoid life, but partially repopulated by Kyer (water-bourne gypsies) only a few months after the event. The rest of the islands were slower to recover but within a few decades, small population centers appeared.)

The rest of the world didn’t fare well either, it was a serious event that scorched the sky and filled it with dirt and ash for a period of nearly 3 months. Fauna populations were seriously crippled and flora began dying off, but not as badly as with the animals. Humanoid populations likewise suffered the same fate as the animals. Nearly 60% of the world population died off from famine, hunger and of course the fighting for resources. None of the races were unaffected, even those with magic, though if they did have magic, they tended to fare better.